2022 - Yellow Belt Champion @Lord_Pasta

The Yellow Ones by Lord_Pasta

And I thought we are winning.

We've littered the land with their bodies. I've even brought down almost a dozen of them on my own. Nobody could tell what they are, exactly. Strange beasts, like no other. It's like somebody tampered with The Almighty's creations and merged them into... whatever these are. Teeth, claws, snapping jaws, and gaping maws. I think these are sent to punish us for our sins. I'm starting to think the more we pray, the worse it gets for us here.

This is no ordinary enemy. I don't think it understands how humans fight. All they do is throw themselves at us, not caring how many of them die by our guns and bombs. They've carved through our lines, scattering us into smaller groups. They don't stop. Sometimes, I hear bellows and howls even in the dead of night.

We're down to three tanks, some trucks, a few cannons, and maybe less than two hundred men. Sure. The Sultan's mighty force reduced to a mass of scampering chickens. Looking at my map, we're heading to a village of The Jaundiced.

I don't think we're going to be welcomed, given how we treated them the last time.

And I am right. I can see men gathering on the walls. Some of them have rifles pointed our way.

The first stone struck the lead tank. At least the turret light was not hit. But that was only the beginning of a rain of stones that pelted our vehicle. I am never good at ducking, one slip, and I am rolling down the slope in humiliation.

"Stop! We're not here to quarrel."

"You said that the last time, and we believed you." One of the men at the battlements shouted, "You know what you did? You forced yourselves inside! What are you going to do now? Blow up our gates with your tanks?"

"Look. I will not waste time with you. Where's your village chieftain?"

"I am the village chief!" Quite a young-looking man to lead this place. He's half a head taller and stronger-looking than the rest. The sun can't hide the dim amber skin.

"And I am leading these men!" Shouting isn't good, and worse when your throat is going dry. "You've heard the fighting on the horizon. You are not our enemy. We will also have to tell you to leave this place soon."

"What are you talking about?"

The ground is trembling. A sand dune burst from behind. This creature is huge, with too many eyes to count. You don't let them make the first move. We fire at it right away, and one of us manage to throw a grenade into its open mouth. A muffled explosion, a few streams of gore pouring out, and the scaly monster drops lifelessly.

"We made our point now?" Talking will be hard tomorrow. "More of them are coming."

"Let's talk about this inside." A few waves of the hand, and old heavy iron gates start to open.