2021 - Yellow Belt Champion @ScatteredStarIight

Value by ScatteredStarIight 

The barrier around the palace's garden shone in the moonlight.

The captain of the royal knights stood near the stone wall which marked the rim of the barrier. Tonight he would avenge his fallen comrades.

The rapid tapping of nails against stone startled him. He scanned the area and spotted a shadowy figure seated on top of the wall.

"It took you long enough," the figure said, hopping down into the dim light of the captain's lantern.

"What are you doing here?" the knight asked after identifying the figure. It was the commander of the royal guards.

"My job. What else?" she replied. She took a few steps towards him.

"Your job is guarding the royal family, not guarding this beast." He gestured to the wall. From behind it, a thunderous roar was heard.

"Why are you here?" she asked, cocking her neck to the side. Her hand lightly gripped her sheathed sword.

"You already know why."

The guard withdrew her blade first, pointing it directly at the knight's throat. His own blade parried hers before she could draw blood.

"Killing it won't change anything."

He ignored her words and focused on striking her torso. She blocked and leaped backwards.

"My comrades died trying to subdue it. Who's to say it won't attack us again if we let it be."

He lunged forward but she anticipated this. Ducking down to dodge his swing, she swept his legs off the ground causing him to fall. She hopped up and stood over him, her sword scratching against his armor.

"It attacked because it was hurt first."

The knight grabbed a fistful of soil and threw it in the guard's face. While she was temporarily blinded, he jumped up and thrust his sword but she dodged.

"It's a monster."

He attacked. She parried.

"No, it's a child. It may be a dragon but it's barely three years old."

"It's a murderer. It killed before and it will kill again."

"And you killing it will make you any better?"

"That's different. It killed for revenge. My goal is to avenge the fallen and prevent the scenario from repeating itself. Once it grows up, who knows the damage it may cause. It was on the verge of death anyway, before you and the rest of the guards decided to raise it like a pet."

"Once it recovers we pla-"

The guard fell silent as she watched the barrier disappear before her eyes.

"Did you really think I was alone?"

A handful of knights emerged from the path and pinned the guard down while she was still dazed.

The black sky turned white as thousands of magical arrows soared overhead. The dragonling's cries could be heard.

"You fool," she said smiling. The cries got louder until a shadow fell over them. The dragonling swooped down and collected the guard, knocking over those who were pinning her down.

"How did you fail to see its military value?" she asked, watching their ashes scatter in the wind.