2022 - Blue Belt Champion @Aptionia

I don't take insults lightly by Aptionia

I tucked my nose into my near-empty shot glass as I stifled a sigh. The bittersweet aroma of bad whiskey wafted into the air, almost masking the smell of blood and sawdust-soaked vomit. Almost.

I kept my golden eyes trained on the hickory wood bar top, placing a hand on the decorative indents as I let my glass fall to the counter with a harsh clink. Pushing it forward, I leaned onto a caramel-colored hand as I waited for a bartender. The last one had rushed out the minute I raised the glass to my lips, and he hadn't returned since.

Maybe I scared him off. I fiddled with the now chipped shot glass with one hand as I ran my other through my blond and brown streaked hair.

Arenavia had been very clear in her instructions to me: patrol the slummy city of Krurvi and keep an eye out for any criminals. But that was hard when nearly everyone in the city was a crook or bastard in some way.

A man slid into the seat next to me. A hopeful flame sparked within me, but it was snuffed as quickly as it came as I realized the man was a random meathead, and not the bartender. I didn't bother to bite back a sigh this time as I nibbled on my lip.

"Got a problem, pretty?" the man huskily asked as he slammed a meaty hand onto the bar top. I remained unphased as I lifted my eyebrows slightly.

Pretty, handsome, beautiful, I'd been called it all. At least by the revolting group of people you'd find exclusively in Astania's raunchiest bars. Maybe I would've been flattered if they smiled while they said it.

"Only if you want a problem," I replied nonchalantly, a bit miffed I'd downed my alcohol so quickly now that I was faced with this man.

"What's that supposed to mean, huh?" the man grunted.

"If you don't know, I'd suggest you get out of a bar and into an academy. Maybe it'd do you some good. Or maybe not. I don't think you'd be able to process anything through that thick skull."

A scoff left the man's lips as a look of incredulity grew on his navy blue face. I could see an uneven blush crawl up his neck as a vein bulged. "'Scuse me?"

I resisted the urge to lean my head against the bar top. Instead, I kicked my stool away from the bar, the golden buckles looped around my legs jingling as I faced the man.

"Look. I'm not in the mood to talk, and certainly not with you. I'm here to finish my job and leave," I said, narrowing my eyes.

"Quit it with the insults," the man growled as the flustered splotches on his neck reached his face. His bushy brows beetled in a scowl, framing his small emerald eyes with shadowed fury.

"Then leave me alone," I grumbled under my breath as I tapped a foot against the slick wooden floors. Normally, I'd entertain brutes like this. But here, I was in no mood, because I knew what men like him wanted at this time of night.

Arenavia wouldn't be pleased if she could see how I was handling this–I'm supposed to carry myself with grace and humility. Humility be damned if I'm talking to a man who'd certainly do unspeakable things to me given the chance.

But still, I kept the echo of my goddess's wishes in the back of my mind as I asked, "What's your name?"

The man was silent for a moment, fat lip curling up in a sneer. He raked my figure with a perplexed gaze before uttering a single word: "Knut."

I nearly laughed, having to bite my lip to keep myself silent.

Did I really expect anything else?

Knut's eyes narrowed a fraction as he kept his gaze trained on me. I didn't give him the satisfaction of returning the glance. "You gonna tell me yours?"

"Savonti."

Knut traced a hand against his shiny horned skull as he seemed to try to brush back hair that didn't exist. A smirk danced on his lips as a chuckle escaped them. "Savonti? Sounds like a stri–"

My blade was out of my pocket and firmly pressed against his throat before he could finish the sentence. I knew what was coming, and I didn't like it.

A startled squeak left Knut as his body stiffened. His hooded eyes were wide as saucers now as he stared at me. His skin seemed to grow even warmer under my grip as I let go of the back of his neck. He seemed to be frozen in place for a moment before a look of absolute animosity overtook his unpleasant features.

"You want a fight? I'll give you a fight!" Knut roared as he sprang up from his rickety stool. I was surprised it hadn't collapsed under his weight–barrel chested and broad shouldered, he was certainly the type of heavy bruiser to be lurking around in a dingy bar.

A beefy fist came soaring at me as I clicked my pocket watch. A wave of golden magic rushed out of the watch's hands, colliding with Knut and sending him stumbling backward before he had the chance to connect the punch.

I blinked forward, teleporting behind him as I twirled my other dagger in my hand. Knut shook his head as he whirled around. He lumbered forward in another poorly thrown punch as I dodged with ease.

I wasn't planning on drawing blood. Maybe giving him a few pretty bruises and a black eye, but no cuts. But the familiar weight of my daggers in my hands soothed me as I blinked to the side.

Dashing in, I slammed the butt of my dagger into Knut's jaw. He reared back in pain, one hand caressing what would surely be a painful bruise tomorrow. I was, quite honestly, surprised he hadn't fallen unconscious.

Guess having a skull as thick as a tree is good for something, after all.

"You little bitch!" Knut grabbed for me as I barely ducked under his hand. But he lowered his other hand and snatched the hem of my leather jacket as he tugged me to the ground. I kept my grip on my daggers stalwart as pain shot up my spine.

Knut brought his clasped hands down in a makeshift hammer, narrowly missing my head as I rolled to the side. Scrambling to my feet, I dashed behind him–and he was ready. But so was I.

I teleported behind him again, sprinting forward. Slamming my body into him, I brought the hilt of both my daggers into his skull as his hefty body fell to the floor. I could hear a sickening crack, but knew I hadn't broken bone as he crashed into the floor.

Watching his limp body twitch slightly, a wave of pride and disgust washed over me. I mustered those feelings into a wad of spit as I spat on his groaning body before turning to leave, a satisfied smirk on my face.

Maybe that'll teach you to be more respectful.