2023 - Round 4 Champion @RoseMarry

Enduring Eternality by RoseMarry

My grandmother's cybernetic heart sat on a pedestal between us

My grandmother's cybernetic heart sat on a pedestal between us. On the other side, white sheets rested on medical beds with black straps to hold us down. The crowd of thousands erupted in cheers that slammed into me like tidal waves. Normally I'd bask in the spotlight, but today I hated the heart, the ceremony, the crowd. I wanted nothing more than to never turn a day older.

"Welcome to the 31st of May's cybernetic enhancements ceremony!" The announcer's voice boomed through the center of the city while he skipped on robotic legs with red lights.

I much preferred my grandmother's. Green lights ran from her silver legs up to her metal cheek bones. With sixty-nine enhancements, my grandma had it all: metal hands, implanted blue hair implants, even a robotic eye. I once strived to be the same.

"This year we're blessed with Lila Chromium who is today's oldest participant," the announcer boomed. The crescent moon grinned like a god laughing at its subjects. "Her granddaughter, Kailee, will receive her sixteenth enhancement. How wonderous they're climbing toward greatness together."

The crowd roared, lights from their enhancements illuminating the city like glowsticks. I wished to be far away. Or at least as carefree as the families sitting in the darkness backstage. I could sense my mother's robotic purple eye trained on us.

"Mrs. Lila, any words for those striving toward where you stand today?" The announcer's elbow squeaked when he jutted the microphone toward my grandma.

"Remember your roots." She stood upright, forced by her cybernetic spine.

The announcer's eyebrow rose before he flailed his arms wide. "Exactly. We must praise the great President Rhodium. 180 enhancements and counting. A true hero for all of Yanden."

My grandmother's smile slipped slightly. I was likely the only one who understood her words' true meaning. I glared at the heart on the pedestal.

~ ~ ~

The cybernetic heart pulsed as if it couldn't wait to be inside my grandmother's body. The doctors dressed in white came with empty expressions. They weren't the focus of attention; it was a birthday celebration after all.

I couldn't break my gaze from the heart. Even when the doctors took my grandmother's vitals. If only if the heart wasn't there, she wouldn't have to go through with this. She wouldn't—

"Would you like pain medication?" the doctor asked her.

The announcer began the chant, "Endure!"

The crowd didn't hesitate to continue. "Endure!"

Tears whelmed in my grandmother's green human eye. Anger whelmed within me.

"Endure!"

I always admired those who said no, but then I witnessed the agony of my grandfather's screams four years ago.