New day

Farrell POV
I woke up and yawned the next morning, and remembered I was running gate duty, since I'm a higher rank, I get more difficult jobs, so here I go, running gate duty. I yawned and sat up, my two beautiful girlfriends taking much objection to my doing so, but they're asleep.

Farrell: "gals, I run gate duty, I'm in charge of the guard for first hour before breakfast"

Frieda: (asleep) "awwwwww, I wan snuggies"

Angela: (asleep) "yeh! U can't go, we need ur warm snugs!"

Farrell: "I have too, now, I need to get up"

I stood up, hopped into my boots, walked to my wardrobe and pulled out my tunic, belt and field equipment. It was nearing winter so I have half a mind to wear my greatcoat, well, that was until I remembered I'm a Arctic fox, I'm used to this shit. I leave it there and start getting geared up, walking to the main gate with my rifle, yawing as I walked past a table with snacks on it. I grab a piece of Knackerbröt, cracker bread, I liked it. I finished it just as I walked outside the gate, seeing a small group of 4 schutzes, you'd know as privates.

Farrell: "morning you lot, ready for guard duty?"

Schutze 1: "nein herr obergefreiter"

Farrell: "nein nein nein, don't call me by rank, call me by my name, Farrell"

Schutze 2: "oh, well, no Farrell"

Farrell: "understandable, I'm not either, so, I'll let you guys take the covered position, it's likely going to rain so you'd want to do that, Schutze, Dranko, you and I will take position here at the main gate since it's the more important one"

Dranko: "yes mein herr"

We go to our positions and start performing guard duty, which was basically hurry up and wait for a few hours until you're relieved from duty. I sigh heavily and reach into my tunic pocket, fishing around for the cigarette case gifted to me by Frieda. I grabbed out my matches and lit up, then looked over to my compatriot.

Farrell: "so where are you from?"

Dranko: "me? I'm from Hamburg"

Farrell: "nice"

Dranko: "yourself?"

Farrell: "Tipperary, Ireland"

Dranko: "huh?"

Farrell: "I'm volksdeustch, my mom is Aryan but my dad forced himself upon her in '22"

Dranko: "you wanted to return home?"

Farrell: "yup"

I look to my cigarette container, and pull one out

Farrell: "want one?"

Dranko: "no thanks, I don't smoke"

Farrell: "fair enough"

I put my cigarettes away in my pocket, and sigh

Farrell: "what was it like in Hamburg?"

Dranko: "well, average, had a standard childhood, Y'know how it is"

Farrell: "nice"

We chat as a car pulls up, a staff car, odd. I look to my partner

Farrell: "I got this one"

I walk to the window and peek in, there sat a captain and a lieutenant in field service uniforms, looking exhausted

Farrell: "Herr Leutnant and Hauptmann!"