Chapter 4 | they catch you by surprise

"What if it's a secret admirer?!" Uzui excitedly exclaimed. Iguro's face flushed at the thought.

"There's no way someone would actually like me..." Iguro mumbled, to no one in particular.

He was at a cat cafe with Uzui and Kanroji to study for an upcoming social studies test. During their time there, he brought up the keychain to them, which he immediately regretted.

Kanroji cradled a small kitten in her arms with a dreamy look on her face. "Oh, but just think about it, Obanai-san! The idea of an anonymous gift, and the gift revolving around your love of serpents! It's no coincidence!"

Kanroji always had a thing for looking into stuff more than she should. 

Uzui flashed a smirk in agreement. "Hey, can I see that keychain again?"

"We're supposed to be studying..." Iguro grumbled in annoyance, but soon relented. He extended his arm, and the boisterous man gratefully took the keychain. Uzui observed it for a while, repeatedly turning it over in his hands. Eventually, he handed the kechain back to Iguro.

"Well, for the matter, I agree with Mitsuri." Uzui declared. Then, he perked up, with a look on his face that usually meant he had an idea. A bad one at that. 

"Hey, let's find out who it is! Maybe it's from-" Uzui loudly started. Iguro groaned.

"Keep it down, fucking loudmouth."

"Gee, no need to be so mean- not like there's anybody here other than the waitresses." Uzui pouted. Iguro sighed. He needed to get away from this imbecile. Iguro got up, and pointed at his watch.

"Whatever. I've gotta go now. See you guys tomorrow." He quickly said, to avoid whatever else they would suggest. He gathered his textbooks, and began packing them into thebag he brought.

"Oh, okay then! I should go now too, or my parents will be worried. Bye Obanai-san!" Kanroji said with a smile, Uzui doing the same. Iguro nodded, before heading out of the cafe. The door closed behind him with a squeak.

 As soon as he was out, he rubbed his temples and headed over to a nearby bench, just far enough from the cafe so that Mitsuri and Uzui won't see him.

Iguro closed his eyes, and Kaburamaru hissed in concern. "Kaburamaru, do you think it could be a secret admirer? There's no way, right?" Iguro felt stupid for expressing his concerns to a literal snake. Kaburmaru's judgemental hissing didn't make him feel any better.

Iguro sighed. "I'm probably overthinking this. We should head home anyways."

Kaburamaru hissed in agreement as the sun fell even further, blanketing them in shadows.

Iguro got up, trailing off home as the sun began to set. 

...

Edit: This chapter has been rewritten.