Chapter 13 | the regrets of tomorrow

Iguro sighed as the call went to voicemail.

Iguro had been calling Shinazugawa for the past hour. Yet he still didn't pick up.

It wasn't anything important, really. Iguro just wanted to share his notes since Shinazugawa requested. He dialed the number again.

It went to voicemail.

He kept calling, more so because he was concerned rather than because of the notes.

Eventually, he picked up.

But it wasn't Shinazugawa who picked up. It was his little brother, Genya.

"Hello?" came the voice from the other side of the line.

"Ah! Hello? Genya?"

"Oh, Iguro-san. Did you need something from 'Nemi?" Genya asked.

Iguro stifled a laugh at the name. He didn't know Shinazugawa wasn't opposed to nicknames. "It's not important, I just wanted to show him some notes, since he asked..."

There was a shuffling on the other end.

"... Do you know where Sanemi is?" Iguro asked.

"Huh? I thought 'Nemi went to the school library. He said he was meeting up with you guys?"

Huh? But Shinazugawa wasn't at the library, Iguro thought.

He decided not to say anything. Even so, why would he leave his phone at home? Did he forget? "So, I take it he isn't home?"

"No, he isn't... but when he comes home, I'll tell him you called. I gotta go now. Bye Iguro-san," was the rushed reply of the younger before the call cut and his screen light dimmed.

Iguro stared at the screen for a moment, before shutting it off, the dark room's only light source gone. He leaned back until his back pressed against the rough of his mattress and sheets, and his head plopped onto his fluffed pillow.

Shifting to a more comfortable position, he put his phone on the nightstand. Then he pulled the sheets over him, and his thoughts drifted away and allowed sleep to overcome him.

...

I'm gonna start a new story because I had a burst of inspo.