Chapter 5 | when there is no imagination, there is no horror

Iguro cautiously walked through the halls of Kimetsu Academy. Everywhere he looked, there were gloomy faces and whispering amongst the students. He proceeded to approach Uzui, who wasn't boasting like usual. Even Kochou didn't have her usual smile plastered on her face. Tomioka looked...sadder than usual?

"What happened here?" Iguro asked as he neared the group, who was awfully silent as he did.

"Uhm... well," Kanroji started. When she didn't continue, Kochou spoke up.

"Well, how do I put this... there was a murder in school." Kochou said, straight to the point. Iguro face morphed into one of shock and confusion.

"I don't know much about the guy, other than the fact that he was a first year or somethin'." Shinazugawa grunted. "I'm pretty sure he was that one kid who you were supposed to- uhh. Tutor."

The kid I had to tutor? Harukawa? Iguro thought. Harukawa was one of the students at Kimetsu Academy who was struggling with his studies- more so chemistry. So being in the same class, their teacher assigned Iguro to help him after school.

"Oh..." Iguro said. He wasn't... sure what to feel. Sure, a murder was sad and all. However, Iguro wasn't so close with Harukawa. It was kinda like some stranger had died, but that stranger was the kid he was supposed to tutor.

"Wait, if there was a murder, shouldn't school be off?" Iguro asked.

"Oh, well, it was only discovered this morning. We were evacuated from the room it was in, but we can't leave until the police show up so they can examine us." was Uzui's straight-forward reply.

"Oh.."

Iguro frowned. He wondered what the teachers were doing right now. He turned his head towards the window upon hearing police sirens. Red, blue, and white flashed across the windows.

"Oh! They're here!" Rengoku exclaimed.

Kanroji bit her lip before letting out a forced laugh. "W-well, we can go home after this... how about we get some food to take our mind off things?" she asked, attempting to lighten the gloomy mood.

Well, Iguro would appreciate the excuse to stay away from home, so naturally, he agreed. Kochou finally smiled again, and agreed too, as did Uzui, Rengoku, and Shinazugawa. Tomioka declined, saying he still had homework to do at home. Iguro thought that was strange, since Tomioka usually finished his assignments the day they were assigned.

The police walked in, ordering everyone to evacuate from school and wait in the front yard. The group spoke in hushed whispers as they obeyed.

The police checked the students for murder weapons, and fingerprints. They left quickly, because the murder weapon was already wiped off of fingerprints, and they didn't have much to go on, as the camera was 'coincidentally' malfunctioning during the time the murder took place.

There was no school for a week now. The group said their goodbyes to Tomioka and headed to a nearby boba store.