Chapter 8 | so many feelings go unnoticed

School was back in session once again. People were lively and chatted throughout the halls. The first few classes had gone well, and there was no discussion of... certain events. The bell for lunch just rang, and Iguro and his friends headed to the cafeteria.

Kanroji took a seat next to him, and the rest piled around.

Iguro tucked his hair behind his ear as he quickly took a bite of his food. The others were chatting animatedly about something, but Iguro wasn't listening. His mind was on the last note. About the gift in his locker.

He had been planning to open it first step into school, but his nosy friends would probably question it and... Oh well. He would just have to wait until the day was over.

He was lost in his thoughts until someone poked him on the shoulder. He turned around.

"Everyone's about to leave now. You should pack your things." was the bland voice of Tomioka Giyuu. Over his shoulder were the others, who were now getting up and starting to head out.

"O-oh right..." Iguro quickly fumbled for his things. Tomioka continued to stare at him.

"What is it?" Iguro asked him.

"Nothing. You just looked spaced out the entire time..." he noted. "...Is there something bothering you?"

Iguro bit his lip. He wondered if he should tell Tomioka. It should be fine, as Tomioka is a man of few words, but they weren't so close... Iguro shook his head and declined the option. "Uh, no." he said instead.

Tomioka didn't look convinced, but he left it alone. He got up and began to follow the rest, and Iguro was close behind.

...

The dismissal bell had rang, and all the students were rushing out to get home or wherever. Iguro now stood beside his locker, his hand frozen on the combination lock.

The rest of his friends decided to hang out at a restaurant. Tomioka said he was gonna go home, with no elaboration.

Iguro sighed as he slowly typed in his combination code. The locker door opened with a click, and Iguro pulled it open. It took him a while, but he eventually found a small black box behind his notebooks and folders.

Iguro frantically wondered how this person even got past his combination code.

He pulled it out. He then checked over his shoulders to see if anyone was watching. The halls were completely silent, and there wasn't a person in sight. The only students who were still in school were likely club members, but they were on the 4th floor.

Despite this knowledge, Iguro still felt uneasy. He felt like someone was watching him. He stared back down at the gift box in his sweaty hand.

He tugged at the delicate gold ribbon. Inside the box was... a charm bracelet. It only had a single charm, which was a gemstone. He twirled the charm along his fingers. He shrugged, then put it in his jacket pocket. He shut his locker door with a thud.

As he was about to leave, he heard the scampering of...

Footsteps...

... 

I realized these chapters are really short-