Chapter 12 | the pain of your absence

Iguro woke up with his back hurting like crazy. He groaned and sat up.

He was on the balcony. And he was feeling pretty cold.

He sighed and stood up, his body shivering from the winter breeze. He stepped back into his room and shut the glass doors behind him. Something shimmered on his nightstand.

Another gift?

Iguro picked it up. He realized this was the charm bracelet he had gotten in his locker. Now, it had two more charms on it.

Huh? Didn't I put this in my drawer? Hold on... did they go through my stuff!?

Iguro flushed at the thought. He frantically shook his head and stuffed the bracelet back into the drawer.

......

It had been two weeks since Kanroji's death.

Iguro tried to distract himself by going out often. He started studying with Kochou more, going to parties with Uzui, hanging out with Shinazugawa. He even took up tutoring some kid named Tokito Muichirou. And yet, Kanroji's death still hung heavy over his shoulders.

He wondered how the others were holding up.

He was in the midst of studying with some of his friends. They were at the school library, preparing for a history test.

The only people present were Rengoku, Kochou, Uzui, and Iguro himself. Tomioka couldn't make it, and Shinazugawa simply hadn't replied back when they had offered.

Which was strange.

Iguro tried not to let it bother him, and just continued taking brief sips of his drink.

He looked over the notes Kochou had lent to him. Her handwriting was quite loopy.

"Poke, poke! Earth to Iguro-san!"

"Huh?"

Iguro looked over to see Kochou, with a small smile plastered on her face. "You dozed off." she informed him. Iguro turned pink.

"Did I?" Iguro touched his face. What was up with him lately?

Uzui laughed. "What's got you so distracted Oba?" He jabbed Iguro with his elbow. Iguro grumbled.

"Don't call me that." he deadpanned. Uzui took a step back.

"Man, I was just joking. No need to glare at me like that." Uzui smirked.

Iguro shrugged and looked away. Uzui gave Iguro a pat on the back before turning to converse with Rengoku.

Kochou suddenly got up and smiled. "Sorry, but I have to leave now. My sister is waiting for me at home."

Uzui and Rengoku nodded. "You guys can keep my notes if you'd like. I have no use for them. Well, that's all. Farewell! Don't get into too much trouble!" Kochou teased before exiting the dim library. Uzui whistled.

Iguro took hold of the notes. He could use these.

Rengoku got up too. "I should go home now too! It's getting late!"

Uzui sighed. "C'mon, do you all have early bedtimes or something?" Rengoku smiled.

"Not at all! I just prefer to get a good night's sleep!"

"Awh, okay then. Bye Rengokuu!" Uzui said.

Rengoku bid them farewell and left.

It was just Iguro and Uzui now.

Iguro was at a loss for what to say. He had never had similar interests with the boisterous man besides him.

Uzui was different from Iguro in too many ways he could think. Uzui was 90% womanizer and always put attention to his overall appearance. He had good grades, was loud and extroverted, and much more. The complete opposite of Iguro himself.

"Iguro." Uzui suddenly said.

Iguro turned to the taller man. "Hm?"

"...Are you okay? You've been spaced out lately. I know that the Kanroji incident happened but..."

Iguro stiffened. "...I don't wanna talk about it." He said firmly.

Uzui looked at him in surprise. "Well, I guess I should've expected that." He turned away. "But, well, I'm here for you, y'know?"

Iguro nodded. They stayed in silence for a while.

Iguro quickly got up. "I'm gonna go now.. See you tomorrow."

Uzui was about to say something, but Iguro rushed out before he could. The cool winter breeze hit him as soon as he stepped out of the building. But for once, he felt warmth in the chilly air.