Chapter 8

Dinner is a quiet affair.

Regulus isn't sure if it's tense because of the earlier interviews, or simply because it's the last day for him and James, or both. Pandora is the only one who speaks, really, but she quickly gives up on that when no one has much to say in response.

Sirius and Remus are making eyes at each other, which Regulus mostly ignores. Usually, it's sort of fun to see his brother turn into a complete idiot the moment Remus so much as breathes in his direction, but Regulus understandably detests any and all hints of romance right now. The source of this issue-one James Potter, of course, who barely lifts his gaze from his plate the entire meal and doesn't say one word.

Actually, James is the first one to leave, and he does so in a manner that's not like him at all. Without a goodbye, he just shoves himself out of his seat and leaves without looking back. It takes Sirius all of five seconds before he's up and following him, looking worried and a little sick.

Regulus doesn't want to be bitter, but he is, a bit. Of course Sirius would go to James, regardless of the fact that Regulus is literally in the same situation as him. Of course James would want Sirius' company over anyone else's, regardless of the fact that Regulus is surely feeling just like he is at the moment. That's how they work; it's always James and Sirius, and Sirius and James. Never one without the other.

It feels like a bad omen, in a way. Vaguely, Regulus realizes the world wouldn't make much sense if Sirius and James didn't have each other. Going into the arena with James where only one can come out...this acknowledgement isn't a comfort. It's never been a comfort for Regulus, though, so he's used to it.

He remembers when he used to be so, so happy that Sirius and James were best friends. Funny how things change. But, really, not funny at all. Regulus hasn't laughed about it in years.

Pandora tries to get up and help Remus clean, but he firmly sends her off to bed, which is probably for the best. She's tired, and honestly, she might be the only one who actually gets some proper rest tonight, so Regulus figures someone should.

Regulus doesn't want to admit it, but he doesn't want to be alone right now. He doesn't want to go sit in his room and think about what's waiting for him tomorrow. He doesn't want to drown in his own thoughts. Mostly, he wants to avoid thinking for a while; he wants to avoid everything. So, he gets up and starts scraping plates without a word.

"You don't have to do that," Remus murmurs.

"I know," is all Regulus replies, because he's very aware that it's technically something Remus is only required to do. He doesn't care. He's doing it anyway.

Remus is silent for a long beat, then he says, "Really, Regulus, you can go rest. I can do this on my own."

Regulus lifts his gaze and just looks at him, the fork scraping slowly against the plate as he continues what he's doing. For a moment, Remus just stares at him, then he seems to realize that Regulus isn't budging on this, and he gives a tiny, singular nod-mostly to himself-and turns away without a word.

In silence, they work in tandem to grab the plates off the table, throwing food away. Regulus hates it, really, because this is food that could go to people who are very, very hungry in various districts. He never wastes a meal, and neither does James or Sirius, but...well, this is their last day. It doesn't leave much room for an appetite, so Regulus lets it go.

Regulus also helps Remus gather the glasses off the table, then just gives in and goes to help him wash dishes. If Remus is surprised by this, he doesn't show it. In fact, Remus doesn't say anything at all at first, letting them fall into a silent rhythm where Regulus washes and Remus rinses, dries, and puts away.