Chapter 33

The victory tour is scheduled like this:

It kicks off towards the last part of the final week in the fifth month after the previous hunger games, starting with the on-screen interview set in the district of the previous Victor-or in this case, Victors. The very next day, the Victor(s) and their mentor set out for district twelve, where they will start on the tour. They go back from district twelve, stopping in all the ones on the way back to the Hallow over the course of three days, skipping their own along the way.

When they make it to the Hallow, they'll have an interview there with Rita, then settle in for the night. The following day, they'll travel to a very big party at Riddle's castle, stay that night, then go home the following day.

So, for a week, six months after the hunger games, Regulus is going to be pretending to be madly in love with James, except he is madly in love with James, so this really shouldn't be that difficult for him to pull off.

But it is.

Neither of them like it, that they're forced into this, that they don't get the chance to do it their own way. Regulus is bitter, because he wouldn't want to give any of this to the Hallow if it was true anyway. This is supposed to be theirs: whatever it is, whatever it could be, it should belong only to them.

Regulus doesn't want it to be a necessity. Or a performance. He wants it when he's ready, when they both are, and now isn't the time. Six months isn't nearly enough time.

Not when Regulus still sleeps with a dagger under his pillow, clutched in his hand. Not when Regulus still talks to his dead best friend in his sleep most nights, never managing to save him when he falls. Not when Regulus still cries when he bathes, and shies away from touch, and can't work out how to give James everything he deserves.

But, well, here they are anyway.

Pandora and Dorcas are a whirlwind when they arrive together, and Regulus is startled to realize that he's actually happy to see them. They're all doing this at the Potters' place, which is particularly awkward for Regulus, purely because he has to spend time around Effie and Monty, who have known him since he was a little kid and still have the ability to make him feel like one with something as simple as a smile. They're kind to him, warm and welcoming, treating him as they always have, like he didn't spend ten years avoiding them at all costs, then a week in a death arena with their son, alternatively threatening his life and flirting with him in rotation.

Regulus blushes every time they speak to him.

Dorcas and Pandora absolutely charm Effie and Monty with ease. Dorcas flirts with Effie, much to James and Sirius' joint chagrin, and Pandora flutters around Monty with basically a million questions about the book he was reading when they swept in, much to his delight. Regulus sticks close by Sirius, who he's most comfortable with, which would have made him scoff in disbelief only a year ago.

Things change, even the things you least expect to. Regulus could have never imagined in a million years that he and Sirius would be close again, like they once were, and they're...not, not really. It's different, after all this time, after all they've been through. But it's... It's really good, despite everything. Honestly, it's the best part of Regulus' life now.

Regulus had admittedly worried that he and Sirius would drift apart back home, but neither of them allowed that to happen. Maybe that's due to Remus' influence on them both, Regulus can't be sure, but they took to caring about each other with that special brand of Black stubbornness that they once used to keep their distance. Sirius is there when Regulus needs him, always. Regulus is there when Sirius comes to him for a reminder that Remus was real; he never forgets, he says, never forgets one second of the time they spent together, but he likes the reminder anyway. Regulus is happy to give it to him.