6 : The Matchmaking Project

AALIYAH

I knew it was bound to happen now look at me. Walking in the hallway beside Lucas.

"So Aaliyah," Lucas said walking beside me, "do you think we should meet after school to start on the project?"

"No not really."

"Well, I think we would get a lot done if we did though."

"Fine, can we meet at your house after school?"

"Oh um, actually we can't because my dad is having something over there. You know fulfilling his duties as mayor."

"Okay, we'll meet at my house I guess."

"Great."

I went to my second class and sat there for an hour doing absolutely nothing. Then I went to lunch and finally, the day was almost over.

I was on my way to my last class when Lucas stopped me in the hall.

"So are we still set for after school?" Lucas asked after they left.

"Yeah. Also, I need your number so I can send you my address." I said handing him my phone.

He typed his number into my phone. He put his contact name as Lucassss with a bunch of hearts afterward.

"Ummm actually can I ride with you?" he asked hesitantly, "I rode with Xavier this morning because my car is in the shop. And since he has to do something after school now I don't have a ride anymore."

"Just meet me after school in the parking lot. And don't take forever you know how the traffic gets and I want to leave before it starts to get bad."

"Yes ma'am."

I rolled my eyes at him and started smiling. He walked me to my next class and waved bye.

I know, I know. You're probably thinking what we're all thinking. I'm just trying to be nice and give him a chance.

Everyone deserves a second chance.

•••

When I walked to my car after school Lucas was surprisingly already there waiting on me. Guess he took what I said seriously.

"Guess you took what I said seriously," I said unlocking my door.

Before I got to my door Lucas ran over to my side and opened it for me. He never did any of this the last time I saw him.

"Wow, he's a gentleman," I said sarcastically.

He smiled and then ran back over to his side to get in the car.

The rest of the car was silent. It wasn't awkward silence though I was kind of relaxing. I guess it just filled good to sit in silence for a little.

We pulled up to my house and my mom's car was in the driveway. Just great. I love my mom, but sometimes she can be a bit embarrassing.

When I put my car in park and cut it off I reached for the door handle when Lucas said, "Don't you dare open that door."

He rushed out the door and came over to my side to open the door.

"You know I'm perfectly capable of opening doors by myself. Without male assistance."

"You know I don't care right?"