21 : He's Alive...I Think

AALIYAH

A WEEK LATER

"And that's it?" Desirée asked pacing up and down the hall.

"Yeah pretty much," I said. Right now I was currently sitting down on a bench outside. I told her I had something to tell her and Desirée being her usual dramatic self she said she wouldn't be able to sit down. "Everything went on as normal."

"Define normal."

"Him flirting with me, me pretending to be clueless, him knowing I'm not clueless. You know? Normal."

I think.

"Aaliyah, you know I love you but that's totally not normal."

"Well, it's normal for us."

"Have you thought about it?"

"Of course, I've thought about it. It's the only thing I've been able to think about for the past week."

"Do you know how you feel?"

I stayed silent. I know how I feel in my heart but my head won't listen.

Desirée opened her mouth to say something when Xavier walked up and attacked her with kisses.

"Hey, hermosa," Xavier mumbled while kissing her. Or at least I think that's what he said.

"Okay, we get it you two. Let's chill on the PDA."

"Sorry." They both said at the same time. Standing up straight they tried to act like their tongues weren't just down each other's throats.

"Wait," I asked looking around, "where's Lucas?"

"He didn't tell you?" Xavier said with a confused look on his face, "he's sick."

"He's what?!"

Lucas Williams.

Sick.

And he didn't bother to tell me. That asshole.

"He's sick," Xavier repeated.

"Yeah I heard you but how-when-what. Why didn't I know?"

"I don't know."

"Well, where is he?"

"His apartment."

I turned around and started to walk away until someone grabbed my arm. "What are you doing?" I asked Desirée.

"Aaliyah we still have school."

"Oh yeah right."

Damn it.

The rest of the day couldn't have moved any slower. I could barely think straight because I was thinking about Lucas and how he must've felt.

Soon enough the bell rang and I practically sprinted to my car.

I didn't have to say a word to Desirée because she knew exactly where I was going.

•••

The restaurant Des and I went to when I first got here had amazing food and I heard their soup is good too, so I stopped and got some.

The people in the lobby of Lucas' apartment building recognized me and asked if they wanted to tell Lucas I was coming up.

I've been here so many times I didn't realize that they knew me.

I used the key he gave me to quietly open his apartment door.