Step 6: Fall off a horse, again (pt. 2)

His dreams were a blur. Thoughts lingering from his conscious state and worries for Tea For Two seemed to blend with other visions. His old home, the stables where he used to ride when he was younger, and the familiar face of someone he missed. Someone he couldn't place at that moment, but dread crept over him as his home returned, except that time, destroyed. Reduced to rubble and debris. More images blended, and Tea For Two was suddenly standing in the midst of it all. Frey couldn't do anything, but he knew something bad was happening, and as a monstrous silhouette appeared behind the horse, he couldn't turn his head to look away.

It was just like back then. The massive jaws tore the horse in half, blood spattering over Frey's face, just like that time.

But unlike then, he got to wake up, and realise it hadn't been real.

Tears still ran down his cheeks, and his heart was racing from the horrid visuals. Despite the assurance that it had been nothing but a dream, the horror remained and he knew he would not be able to relax until he'd seen Tea For Two brought to safety.

"How are you feeling?"

Frey turned his head to spot Damien, sitting in an armchair next to his bed.

"Hauke made some tea." Damien held up a cup. "I think there's enough left for you, but it might have gone cold."

"I don't need it." Frey wiped his tears on the corner of his blanket before sitting up, realising to his disgruntlement that he wasn't wearing anything else. "And where are my clothes?"

"Really?" Damien had the nerve to look amused. "You're asking about your clothes? The ones you returned with?"

Frey supposed he should have figured out his clothes would have been removed. It did not sit right with him though.

"So... You let servants wash my body."

"No, because I knew you would throw a tantrum." Damien had a tired look in his eyes. "I washed you. Someone had to."

Frey wasn't thrilled by the idea of anyone washing him, really, but he had to agree Damien was better than anyone else.

"Will you please leave, then? I'm getting dressed."

"Where are you going?" Damien wrinkled his eyebrows. "It's late, and you're in no condition—"

"Please... Leave," Frey said through clenched teeth, and Damien let out a resigned sigh before standing up.

Frey pressed his lips together as he got dressed, fingers having numbed to a painful degree and made buttoning anything near impossible. He supposed it was one of those times where I valet would come in handy, but he'd still rather break his fingers than call for him.

It was still raining outside. Despite having brought a thicker coat, Frey hesitated to go. The stables were far away enough for him to get wet again, but he had to get there. He had to see if Tea For Two was back.

He got his answer as soon as he entered, and a wave of relief washed over him as he spotted the white mare tied outside her stall. The only thing holding him back from throwing his arms around her neck was the fact that she was not alone.

"Lord Clausson." Marius gave his presence a small nod without looking up. He'd knelt down next to Tea For Two to clean a smaller wound on her side, and Frey's mood sank for some reason. He'd expected things to go back to normal. Marius was supposed to have that stupid smile on his face, and Frey was supposed to insult him, but he didn't want to.

He didn't walk closer either. He just stood there for an awkward amount of time before finally clearing his throat.

"You brought her back."