Step 16: Fall into step (pt. 1)

The wait Frey had to endure from knocking on the door to the Cromwells' house to someone actually opening it was accompanied by a long, inner groan. This was not the first thing he would have liked to do after five days of forced bed rest.

"Lord Clausson." One of the Cromwells' servants opened the door. While there was nothing wrong at all with Frey's memory, he couldn't bother to try remembering the man's name. "So happy to see you've recovered."

"It's been a painful couple of days, mostly due to the confinement." Frey smiled brightly despite his bitterness. "It was done out of affection, of course, but I've been yearning for fresh air."

"I hope your current visit outside has provided you with an adequate amount then, my Lord" the servant said as he showed him inside. "Am I to assume you're looking for Master Cromwell?"

"No," Frey said, begrudgingly. "I'd actually like to see Noah, if he's available."

The servant let the hint of an amused smile appear on his lips before choking it just as quickly as it had appeared.

"I'm certain young Master Noah is not too busy for a visit."

It was an obvious jab at Noah not having much of a social life or interests outside the comfort of his home, but neither Frey nor the servant would address it further.

"Young Master Noah, Lord Clausson is here to see you," the servant announced as they reached Noah's room on the upper floor, and Frey raised his eyebrows as the concept of addressing Noah properly like that seemed terribly off.

It didn't take long for Noah to open the door. He didn't look excited by the visit, but he nodded for Frey to enter without meeting his gaze.

Frey shook his head to himself. And that boy was supposed to become town chief one day.

He was appointed the one chair present in the room, belonging to Noah's writing desk, while Noah himself sat down on his bed. He picked up an open book he'd placed upside down to keep it from closing and leaned forward to place it on the nightstand.

"Well, let's get things over with then," Frey began, noticing Noah's cat crossing the floor to jump up into her human's lap. "I suppose I was not in the best of moods on Dyris' day, for reasons you seemed to have guessed, and I said some rather insensitive things to you."

"It's alright, I forgive you," Noah said without looking up from his cat, pretending to be very interested in scratching her chin.

The corner of Frey's mouth twitched.

"I never apologised."

"And I don't think you want to," Noah continued with a shrug. "Damien's just forcing you to do it, so it doesn't really matter anyway."

Frey sighed. Bitter Noah was usually reserved for his sister's snide comments, so something must really have struck a nerve.

"Regardless of Damien's urging, I acknowledge my lacklustre behaviour and offer an... Apology," Frey continued, voice reluctantly strained. "As sincerely as I can."

It was Noah's turn to sigh, but he looked up to face him.

"Guess that's still something, coming from you."

With that, Frey decided that he was done there. Noah had already forgiven him before apologising so there was no need to expect it again.

"Did you talk to him though?" Noah asked as Frey was about to head through the door, and he turned around to shake his head in disappointment.

"I already almost-apologised for calling you nosy, don't make me take it back."

He'd just reached the stairs when he ran into Lucius who was on his way up.