Step 13: Fall into a trap

Watching Marius sleep was an unexpected addition to Frey's trip, but as they were nearing South Kerilia again it was already late evening and perhaps it wasn't surprising a morning person like Marius would be lulled to sleep by the soothing carriage ride.

Frey rejected the urge to reach over and keep Marius' head from almost tipping forward instead of leaning against the seat. He didn't mind him sleeping though. It had given him time to relax and process the past two days, though parts still nagged him.

Looking at Marius' peaceful expression as he slept was calming though. It almost made him forget why he was troubled even though the man in question was the trouble himself.

A bump in the road finally sent Marius forward and he jolted back to keep from keeling over completely.

"Oop, almost dozed off there for a bit." He chuckled, and Frey raised a sceptical eyebrow.

"You've been sleeping for a while now."

"Oh." Marius made a face. "Was I snoring?"

"No."

"That's good then." He looked out the window. "Where are we?"

"We passed by the crossroads about an hour ago." Frey looked at his pocket watch. "So we're almost in South Kerilia."

Marius nodded slowly.

"And how are the horses?"

Frey frowned.

"The horses?"

Marius looked over at him, still blinking sleep out of his eyes and soon laughed.

"No, right." He pointed backwards. "I must have dreamt we took the horses with us when we left."

"Then you would not be sitting here and falling asleep."

"No, I— I know that. I was just newly awake." Marius rubbed his eyes. "Would be a lot of work for just Mr. Harper and Wesley."

"And you."

"I guess in a case like that I would have to leave the comfort of this carriage, but... Also I think with the horses we chose it wouldn't be that much of a hassle."

"At the very least I'd expect Honey Peppered Playtime and Embers Of Two Dynasties to keep up without a fuss." Frey shrugged. "But Bonfire Dancing 'Til Dawn can't be used to travelling that far."

"You're really set on using their whole names, huh?"

"Those are their names," Frey protested. "Why use just a part of it?"

"You know what I've been thinking?" Marius said while on the topic. "I thought it was strange that all those horses had long names while yours back home didn't, but it occurs to me that they probably did have long names and I just didn't know because everyone uses their shorter names."

Frey narrowed his eyes, once again recalling Marius' difficulty with words.

"Which in turn has me thinking, who wrote that plaque next to... The chestnut one?"

"Lord Neigh?" Marius looked smug. "That was young Lady Hargreaves."

The corner of Frey's mouth twitched.

"Of course it was."

"You know, for being this kind of no-nonsense person you claim to be, you do surround yourself with the strangest, rowdiest crowd of people." Marius' expression softened. "Like the ones you seem the most happy and relaxed around would at first glance appear to be the least likely to get along with you."

Frey's scowl intensified.

"How so?"

"From what I heard— And honestly still hear about you back in South Kerilia, the no-touch and no-disturbance rules are very strict when it comes to you, and if you have something to say, no matter how vicious, you will say it." Marius made a face as Frey's scowl deepened. "But... Not with some people. The Hargreaves twins, for example. They're supposedly obnoxious, maybe even unbearable, yet you went out of your way to help young Lady Hargreaves out when she was in distress, for no selfish reason. You weren't half as upset as I expected you to be when she ruined your clothes, which I think says a lot, not to mention the whole Lord Neigh story."