Step 9: Fall in with servants (pt. 2)

Carrigan sure had some nerve.

After Frey had left Noah to his sandwiches, he walked out into the garden. Perhaps he was overthinking it. It would be reasonable for any upper class person to want to be on a future town chief's good side, but Frey knew Lord Carrigan better than that. He knew him better than many, and he had no choice but to be cautious when that man approached a young lord.

Still, the fact that Noah had turned down his offer to discuss business further was a comfort. Frey would just have to keep an extra eye out.

He grimaced to himself. He would keep an eye out? First he'd let Luna borrow his clothes and patch things up with her father, and now he was looking out for Noah? Out of concern? When had he become so sentimental?

The events of last night finally struck him again, and he groaned under his breath while straining against the urge to open and close his hands repeatedly. What was wrong with him? He'd completely lost touch with his old self. Where had the pragmatic, calculating and merciless Frey gone? Sure, he hadn't surrounded himself with the same shallow, treacherous people he'd used to in a good while, rendering those traits unnecessary, but just because he was fraternising with concerned mentors, socially messed up twins, and charming yet uppity servants did not mean he could drop his guard like that.

He raised a trembling hand to his lips, a burning, longing sensation running through him as he recalled the kiss. It had been a mistake, he tried to tell himself. Even Marius had thought so.

One thing was for certain, Frey was not taking Tea for Two out that day. It pained him, but he couldn't bring himself to go there.

He hadn't even considered it earlier. He'd have to face Marius sooner or later, wouldn't he? There was no way he'd ditch Tea for an extended amount of time, and Marius wouldn't just up and stop working at the stables.

He stopped by a bench underneath a tree and sat down despite the chilly weather, chest aching and it felt ridiculous. He shouldn't have to feel like that just because some stable boy decided to be endearing all up in his face.

"Lord Clausson!"

Frey couldn't believe his ears. He wasn't particularly religious but surely he didn't deserve whatever kind of divine prank this was. It was impossible to ignore from where he sat though, so he reluctantly looked over at Marius who was walking briskly towards him.

"Stable boy," he greeted him, determined to let no emotion show. "Is something wrong?"

"Well, is it?" Marius returned the question, sitting down next to Frey without hesitation and the latter wondered if the best option would be sitting still or sliding away from him. "You were supposed to head out with Tea for Two before lunch, but you didn't show."

"I've been busy." Frey cocked an eyebrow. "I don't just sit around all day, you know. Despite what others of your class may say, we do have things to attend to as well."

"Yes, well..." Marius eyed the situation in front of him with Frey clearly just sitting there below the tree, but must've decided against commenting on it. "It's not like that's stopped you before. So I—"

"I'm sure you can handle taking Tea outside for some exercise." Frey stood from the bench. He'd forget about the kiss sooner or later. He just needed to go back to how things were before. Before he'd decided to grace servants with casual conversations. "Not riding of course, but you may walk her along our usual route."

He breathed out as he walked away. That wasn't so bad. He'd managed to get the message across and he might even be able to resume his usual schedule when it concerned Tea for Two, as long as he didn't have to deal with awkward encounters.