Step 17: Fall short of expectations

Carrigan had no doubt spoken to the others.

"Lord Felek, I must insist you reconsider my suggestion," Frey's charming smile strained his cheeks as he looked across the table at the other lord. "It's a small piece of your land but it would make a vast difference if we could grow more crops and extend that part of our trade to North Kerilia as well. The idea that—"

"With all due respect, Lord Clausson, it's not so easy to just chop off a chunk of land and use it." Lord Felek didn't have the same charisma as Frey did, nor did he attempt to. His eyes wandered anywhere but near Frey's eyes and his voice dripped with indifference. "I don't expect someone like you to be aware of the kind of work it requires, but it's time consuming and expensive, and I believe we would benefit more from looking at other options regarding North Kerilia."

Frey gritted his teeth, neck hurting as he drew a silent breath and fought through his anger with another smile.

"I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that I don't know my profession all of a sudden, Lord Felek, but I assure you it's a dreadfully mistaken one."

"Well you've been away for a year, to begin with," Lord Felek retorted. "And before that, your father was the one—"

"I don't see what my father has to do with it." Frey's eyes flashed with annoyance before he could stop them. There it was. What Carrigan had warned him about. "I'm well aware of the kind of crops North Kerilia is in need of. I know what kind of soil is needed, and that the part of your land I'm interested in is exactly the right kind, and I know that you'll need more work horses and equipment, and I can assist you with that."

He'd tried to keep his smile going, but it was clear from the looks of the other lords around the table that something had slipped, and Frey had to recover quickly.

"So please, don't let your misplaced doubt in me hinder your progress, Lord Felek." He found his grin again, beaming as ever and finally causing Felek's bored demeanour to waver. He hadn't spilled important information to an undressed Frey for no reason after all.

"I must agree with Lord Felek's scepticism though, Lord Clausson," Lord Carrigan said from his end of the table, and Frey wished to hurl a vase at the man simply from hearing his condescending tone. "Not just the concern with your absence, but you never were as hands on about your work as the late Lord Clausson was, and the fact is glaring in cases like these."

Frey had additional, valid glares he wanted to show Carrigan at the moment, but he chewed the inside of his cheeks instead.

"I'm certain Lord Clausson will catch up soon enough," Lord Berengar, who loved his wife a little too much to meet up with Frey during nightly hours, said. "But for the sake of getting somewhere with this meeting, perhaps we should move on to more favourable options."

Frey didn't have the energy to battle the guaranteed triumphant look on Carrigan's face, instead focusing on Lord Berengar to pretend he was still interested in what was being said despite the fuming rage in his chest. The one other glance he spared was in Damien's direction, subtle enough for no one else to notice, but devastating enough for Damien to know exactly how displeased he was.

Damien made what had to be the poorest attempt at a discreet, sympathetic look, but he still remained silent throughout the meeting, letting the other lords go on with their backhanded insults as they pleased, to Frey's further annoyance.

Frey didn't even stop to talk as the meeting ended. His social shield was about to drop and he had to get away before anyone noticed, so he made his way towards the piano room.

"Frey."

Frey jumped at the sound of Marius' voice, and he looked up to see the source walking towards him from the other side of the corridor. Without missing a beat, Frey looked around to make sure no one was around, which Marius seemed to notice.