Step 14: Fall for him (pt. 2)

It was all Frey could think about as he sat in front of his desk, finally having made it back to his room. He'd thought he would be able to read up on the topic of tomorrow's meeting, but the words refused to stick.

Why had he said all those things? He could've just shrugged it off, or left it at Marius being good at his job. He could've left it on a somewhat positive note, but then he'd went and spouted words like that?

He should just forget about it. He wasn't sure how, but he needed to move on and so did Marius. They'd have to put whatever friendly feelings they had aside and listen to reason instead. It wasn't as though there weren't other people to get to know out there.

There was a knock on Frey's door then, and he sighed.

"Who is it?"

"It's Noah," a voice replied, and Frey frowned. Of all people he wouldn't have expected that. "Can I come in?"

"Sure."

"I'm sorry if I'm bothering you," Noah said as he opened the door, waiting in the doorway as if Frey was about to tell him to leave despite allowing him inside.

"I'm not really busy anyway." Frey threw a glare at the papers on the desk as if they were responsible for his inability to focus. Then he turned back. "What is it?"

"I was asked to give you this." Noah walked into the room and placed a paper bag on his desk. "And Damien wonders if you're coming down for dinner or if he should send someone up with food."

Frey felt a wrinkle forming on his forehead as he stared into nothing, much to his displeasure. He wasn't thrilled at the idea of socialising at the moment, but supposing it was only Damien he should be able to manage.

"Tell him I'll be down in a bit."

"Right." Noah backed away, awkward as ever, but before he could walk out Frey looked up at him.

"Noah?"

The boy stopped in the doorway, and took a cautious step back into the room.

In all honesty Frey didn't know what he was doing, but he'd wanted to ask Noah something for a long time and rarely got to be alone with him.

"You... Really can see ghosts, can't you?"

A pause, and Noah's expression turned surprisingly dark.

"If you're going to make fun of me—"

"No." Frey held up a hand. "I genuinely want to know."

"Well, yes." Noah half-heartedly raised his shoulders in a shrug. "I never really lied about it, so..."

"Then tell me," Frey said, wondering if he really was about to have a conversation like this with a seventeen year old. "My father... Didn't become a ghost, did he?"

Noah stared at him for a very uncomfortable moment. Frey had thought it was just Luna who had a creepy stare but apparently it went for both twins.

"He didn't."

Frey wasn't sure whether to be relieved or not. What would have been the best outcome?

"I... Guess souls promised to a Scourge don't exactly get to linger around, huh?"

Noah shook his head slowly. Of course it was hard for him. He was a kid, and a socially awkward one at that, but Frey couldn't help but ask.

"Can people taken by the Waste still look back? Like those entering the Unity supposedly can, to watch their loved ones?"

Noah scratched his arm and stared at the floor. Frey knew he may have gone too far. Depending on whether Noah actually knew or not, it was likely he didn't want to respond to such a thing either way.