Step 15: Fall on ice (pt. 2)

Dyris' day of light sucked.

That was the one conclusion Frey could draw at the time. He'd been forced to get up early in the morning and listen to Luna's endless questioning for what felt like an eternity, he'd gotten hit by snowballs, he'd been unable to stop thinking about Marius and he'd had to deal with Noah disrespecting his privacy.

And he'd completely lost his temper in front of everyone.

He'd been spared from a scolding so far though and had happily taken a depression nap for what he guessed was hours, judging by the dark sky outside. He was definitely willing to believe it was the darkest day of the year.

Against his better judgement he went to stand in front of the large window, eyes locking on the vague lights from the stables in the distance.

"Heartbroken," Frey whispered to himself, remembering what Noah had said. Was he right though? What did Noah know about emotions? He was still a child. Even Frey had struggled with understanding emotions at that age.

Frey lowered his gaze, staring into nothing.

Guess I still do.

The light that had died in Marius' eyes sure suggested some negative feelings. Even so, Frey had already made his decision. It was just a pity Marius felt that way.

Frey had never apologised for what he said of course. Not that he was known for apologising to anyone in general, but just ending it with that horrible situation and never addressing it again likely wouldn't do either of them any favours. Would he be able to handle a conversation like that though?

Of course he would, Frey reasoned. No matter how many times Marius had managed to catch him off guard, he was still capable of social encounters.

So he sighed, wondering if he should rethink his options, but then grabbed his new winter jacket.

The night air made him shudder once he finally got outside. It had been a pain to get past the others without being spotted, and even more of a pain to swing by the kitchen before that, but it had felt necessary for some dumb, emotional reason.

He stared down at the paper bag in his hand. Maybe dumb and emotional was the wrong approach.

Snow had covered the ground and trees a surprising amount given how little of it had existed earlier, and judging by the amount of flakes falling from the sky it would continue that way for some time yet.

He could see his breath as he walked by a streetlight, and the closer he got to the stables the heavier said breath became. He'd already decided though and he wouldn't turn back, but of all uncomfortable conversations he'd had throughout his life, the upcoming one could very well turn out to be one of the hardest.

Failing to spot anyone as he entered the small building he walked up to Tea for Two while waiting to give her some attention. She'd suffered because of the situation as well. Frey had barely set foot in the stables since then after all. For what it was worth, the familiar scent of the stables was a soothing comfort in the middle of such a horrid day.

"Lord Clausson?" The stable master appeared from the tack room, and Frey sighed on the inside. "Is there a problem?"

"No." Frey shook his head and held up the paper bag to pretend it was for his horse. "I'm just wishing Tea for Two a happy Dyris' day."

"Of course." The stable master nodded, and to his credit Frey was unable to discern if he was only pretending to take Frey's sentimentalising gesture seriously or if he genuinely considered it appropriate.

He only nodded back and returned his attention to the horse, waiting for the man to disappear in the meantime. No stable master under the employment of the Hargreaves family would just stand idle for long fortunately, and he soon resumed his work in the tack room.