Step 16: Fall into step (pt. 2)

The nerve.

Frey still ground his teeth as he walked past the BBT mansion's garden. They were all ridiculous snoops that just happened to get things right for some reason.

The first thing he noticed as he reached the stables was the snow. The days he'd been forced to spend in bed had apparently been very productive days for the weather, and he walked with caution in case any more treacherous patches of ice were lurking underneath.

He'd had more than enough head injuries to fit a lifetime.

"Ah, Lord Clausson," the stable master said as he appeared by the entrance. "I was told you'd come here today, so I've prepared your horse accordingly."

Frey held back any trace of disappointment.

"Oh, you did so by yourself? I was certain the stable boy took care of my horses."

"He's not working today, my Lord." The stable master shook his head. "I suppose not everyone likes to work every day."

"Your commitment is noted and appreciated," Frey said dutifully, still down about the lack of Marius. "Good to know that Tea For Two has been well taken care of despite his absence."

"Of course, my Lord," the stable master said, but Frey had already turned his attention to Tea For Two. "I should warn you, the ground is still terribly slippery. Best tread with caution."

"The forest path should be fine, shouldn't it?" Frey was already on his way up on the horse. "Less water to freeze."

"Well, I would agree, but..." The stable master hesitated. "... There's been quite a snowfall, and the previous, mild weather has caused some snow crust. I'm not so certain Tea For Two will appreciate it."

Frey scrunched up his nose. He'd always taken that path ever since he'd found it and was already set on heading that way. He wasn't fond of choosing another one just out of the blue.

"We will take a look at it."

"Of course, my Lord."

It did indeed not look promising as Frey neared the beginning of the forest. While Tea For Two wouldn't necessarily suffer too much from the amount of snow, the crust could hurt her, and he groaned in frustration.

Strangely enough, as Frey got closer he noticed the path was still there, looking as though it had been trampled continuously with just a layer of powdery snow on top. It was surprising. Aside from it being a shortcut for some during summer time, people usually chose the larger roads any other season.

There would be no complaint on Frey's behalf though. His frustration was already fading, and Tea For Two ambled along as if there had never been a question where they were heading.

Compared to the earlier days of winter he'd spent riding there, Frey was in awe by the snow covered trees and icicles hanging down the pine branches.

He breathed out.

"Beats staying in bed for five days," he said to Tea For Two. "You'd hate it. I barely got to walk around at all."

Tea For Two said nothing, which was common for a horse, so Frey continued.

"Damien sure is overprotective, despite how bad of a father he's turned out to be to his own sons. Honestly, I think he cares, he's just gone about it wrong." He shook his head. "Must be a strange dynamic nowadays, what with him and Lucius getting along that well despite their past."

More silence from Tea For Two, and Frey took the liberty of interpreting it.

"Yes I know it doesn't seem like it, but that's just how they talk. It's probably how they stand each other in the first place. They're very alike attitude-wise. Between you and me, I think they'd fit well together, but neither of them would ever admit that."