2

RESOLUTION AND POWER

the past week has been extremely dreadful. having gotten jumped by a cat with brown, white and orange spots on monday. having seen a child covered with dirty bandages that's barefoot out your window, staring at you menacingly on wednesday. and yesterday, you've got some brokie who didn't pay for their order, very annoying indeed. though, you'll be meeting one of those people stated again today.

"i'll see you soon miss!" you wave goodbye, looking at the middle-aged mother exit out the door with one hand holding a bag full of sweets while the other pushes a stroller. the middle-aged mother says her goodbyes, waving back at you with a motherly smile before walking out. you watch the duo walk out before flicking your eyes to a passerby out the window that looks familiar, someone familiar who committed a crime just in front of you.

ranpo edogawa.

you watch from behind the counter, intently watching the teenager make his way inside - his signature smile on his face as he approaches you, one of his hands curled into a ball.

an exasperated face adorns you as you once hear the chime of the bell that rings, you straighten your back before forcing yourself to give ranpo a strained smile.

"edogawa, i'm going to call the police on you." you sweetly say, voice straining a bit as your veins slightly pop out on your clenched hand. ranpo happy face does not deteriorate, instead he just stares at you with his normal closed-eye snarky smile. he's better when he doesn't open his mouth.

"police? pass, no thanks!" he snarkily says, slightly leaning over the counter to pat you on the shoulder with a chirpy smile. "an amazing and worldwide famous detective like me does NOT belong in prison! instead, i'm here to pay my debt, sooo.. no more troubles!" he cheers, slamming his money on the counter.

"but.. this money was supposed to pay for my train ticket, but unfortunately i have to spend it all on the 'borrowing' i did!" ranpo dramatically says, putting the back of his hand on his forehead as he cries out in a feigned distressed tone. obviously wanting to manipulate you into guilt and hopefully letting go of his so sudden 'borrowing'.

"so? i honestly don't care if you can't get back home." you bluntly say, scoffing at ranpo before taking the money off the counter and into your hands, mentally counting the total amount.

as you count the last bill, you glance at ranpo with a slightly annoyed face. "..edogawa... this isn't enough.."

"it isn't enough? let me do a count real quick!" ranpo quickly replies, snatching the bills and coins off you. he doesn't even bother to look at the money, instead blatantly looking at you with a devious smile before flickering his gaze towards the money in his hand then at you.

"oh.. you're right, im 7 dollars short aren't i?" he voices, a mischievous-looking smirk adorning him. "hey.. sooo.. since i don't have enough money, how about you– oh my gosh?! why does it say gullible on the wall?!" ranpo lies, once again turning you into a fool. he points at the wall with a surprised face, acting as if there was the word 'gullible' on the wall behind you.

"huh? where?" you respond, whipping your head around to see if the word 'gullible' is on the wall like ranpo stated. with your attention now focused on ranpo's stupid plan, he makes his escape — not before snatching a lolly from an opened jar filled with travel-sized candy on the counter.

"hey, there's no gullible on the wall." you turn around back to where the boy was last seen, you stay still, too confused on where edogawa went.

"hey.. where did he go?"