Chapter 15: Present Day

"Come on, it's not too much further I promise!" I grin, encouraging Rhys to trekk the last quarter mile until our destination.
He groans "I mean I knew I was out of shape, but not this out of shape." He pants behind me.
"We'll rest once we get there and then the hike back will be easier." I assure him.
We set out on a hike about an hour west of Atlanta on a gorgeous mild summer day. Rhys and I used to hike with Ryan who was the more adventurous one when we were younger. Both boys usually outpaced me and had to wait for me to catch up, but that's not the case almost 20 years later. I've tried my best to stay active, my job requires a lot of sitting in one place. Despite Rhys's trim figure he's not very active.
We decided to do this on a weekend his kids would be with his parents and I hope I can make him not regret it.
"Ta-daaa." I gesture triumphantly when the roaring clear waterfall finally appears in front of us.
He drops his backpack off his shoulder and his jaw drops in awe. "Wow, this is beautiful."
He walks up to the water and runs his hand through it. He cups it and sniffs at it before drinking it. He grins at the taste and then dips his sweaty head into the water running the cool water up and down his neck and arms. He approaches me and shakes, raining droplets on me. I laugh, shooing him away. I place my backpack down, pull out some sandwiches and juice.
He settles beside me and we eat our meal in contemplative silence.
"These last few months have been...needed—great even. I feel selfish that I knew that would be the case when I contacted you. I knew you allowed me back into your life you'd do this. I knew you'd take care of me and try to make me feel better." He says staring out at the rippling water.
"Well I knew that about you too. You've always been a little selfish." I tease trying to keep the mood light.
He turns towards me, setting his hand on mine "I love you, Sarah. I've loved you...it feels like my entire life. I've never stopped loving you."
I take a sharp inhalation of breath. "I love you too, Rhys."
He turns away and looks back over the water. His hazel eyes dancing and wet. "I have no right to be here now. To be telling you these things. I-I know I said I wasn't seeking your forgiveness at first, but I am now. I'll do anything to earn it, if there's a way."
"Rhys" I shake my head "You have my forgiveness or we wouldn't be here."
He looks at me, shaking his head, signaling that I'm misunderstanding. "I'm a selfish man, Sarah, because I want your heart again. I didn't take care of it before, I know that. I want to show you that I can now if...if you still think of me the way I think of you." His voice is thick with emotion, it cracks on the last word.
"Rhys...you can't mean that." I protest. "You're still grieving. You loved her—"
"I did, I did." He nods "and I want to tell you all of it. I want to tell you what happened and why but words are cheap until I can prove to you otherwise...so I'm here and I'll keep being here until you tell me not to."
"Ok." I nod
I want to hear what he has to say. I want to hear all of it, but I also know he's right. I know I may not believe or understand his words until he's earned more of my trust. I'll let him continue to hold my hand. I'll give us these moments little by little until we're ready.