Chapter 20: Present Day

Another Michelin Star restaurant. When Rhys wants to woo and wine and dine I'll give it to him,  he knows how to do it. This time though, he's the nervous one. Feeling no sense of pressure or obligation with a man I already know I just enjoy myself. I eat the garlic chicken, order the dessert, make jokes. I'm comfortable.
    "You nervous, Bailey?" I tease as we wait for the check.
  "Yep, absolutely." He nods. He's dressed nicely in a blue sleeve button up and gray slacks. The watch on his wrist and the cologne he wears says this is a man with expensive taste, but I know he'd be just as happy with a deli sandwich in the park right now.
   We decided to stroll the Northside Trail after dinner. It's still early evening so we can see the trail clearly. I zip up my jacket and he frowns.
  "If you're cold—" He gestures back to our parked cars.
   I smile softly at him and take his hand "I'm ok."
   We walk in silence. His hand is warm and he holds mine gently but protectively. He holds my hand as if I'm his and we never stopped doing this.
  "I want to know, Rhys." I finally say.
   He pauses, casting a sidelong glance at me. When he sees the look of determination on my face he nods. We walk until we find a bench to sit on. He extends his hand inviting me to hold it but leaving it up to me. I hold it.
  "Where do I even start?" He asks softly
   I take a deep breath. I know exactly when.