38. Wutai

(Final Fantasy Seven and Assassins Creed does not belong to me. The picture above is a screenshot from the game.
"talking"
'thinking'
Enjoy!)

Rain laughed as he rode on Solaris, "This is awesome, Uncle Ace."

Ace grinned, "Do you want to fly higher?"

Caleb shouted, "Yes, yes. Go higher."

Cloud was watching them from their family house, "Oh, I hope, they don't push Solaris too far."

Zack was standing with his arm around Cloud, "Don't worry, I'm sure Ace will take care of all of them."

Cloud, "Correction, I hope they don't push Ace too far."

Zack barked out a hearty laugh as he kissed Cloud's cheek and went inside. It had been almost nine years now and both boys were turning ten years old soon. They were scheduled to return to Midgar a few days before the birthday and meet with everyone. The last few years had been very hectic to say the least, for all of them. Especially for Rufus, his team of Board Directors and the three First Class SOLDIERs. After they had kicked Palmer out, they had investigated Scarlett as well.

None were amused by the lack of any safety regulations that were not on the machines and drones. Scarlett however took her dismissal gracefully unlike the others and left with a hefty sum of money. Scarlett's absence had been filled by a Shera Highwind, who had taken up the mantle. The first order of business she did was to recall every machinery Scarlett had created and redesign it. Rain had shown a lot of interest in the blue prints and always snuck out to visit her.

The adults had all received heart attacks, when they could not find Rain, in the beginning. Then Shera called gushing about how much of a genius Rain was and was helping her design. Ace had a blank look on his face as he took Rain and Caleb one day and point blank asked them who they were. It was obvious they were not normal children Gaia confirmed it when she started to act like a smug grandma. Both Rain and Caleb had been quiet surprised to hear that about Gaia.

The planet acting like a grandma? Then again, Rain did remember Aerith muttering a lot of choice words about her during their travels. Caleb had been very up front telling Ace about themselves and everything that they went through in their world. Ace had listened without an ounce of pity or sympathy as he nodded and muttered how getting rid of the old foggies was the best idea he had. Rain had sweat dropped but didn't disagree with his Uncle.

After that, Ace decided they needed a long family meeting and called Desmond, Vincent, Cloud and Zack to talk to them privately. The talk that followed was a long one and Cloud and Zack were a mix of pride and heart break because of everything their kids went through. All because of a power hungry man, who sat on top of a throne made out of others sacrifices. Vincent and Desmond had understanding looks on their faces as they held the twins while Cloud and Zack composed themselves.

Rain and Caleb were hugged by their parents and were very surprised when they started to tell them comforting words instead. They had both expected all of them to be disappointed because they were unable to save their home world. Cloud had stopped them from talking negatively and told them seriously that it was not their fault. They were not responsible for other people's actions, they did their best to survive in an unfair world.

For the first time ever, since coming to this world the twins finally started to cry as they clung to their new family. It had been quiet the emotional rollercoaster for them all but, they knew they would be okay. It had been quiet the year for them as they compared everything that happened. How it started with degradation for Caleb and Neibelheim burning down for Rain. Cloud and Zack had stayed close to them just as the twins clung to them, to the point Ace had forced them in to therapy again.