Chapter 10

'The way I see it, all you want to do is eat.'

Jimin moved into Kiuda Palace Hall that very night.

This was a privilege that no empress was granted before. Empresses resided in Hyang-won Hall, occupying the emperor's first and fifteenth nights of every lunar month. 

Normally, when an emperor desired to lavish attention on an imperial wife, he would take the litter to her chambers in the back palace. 

If a concubine was invited to Kiuda Palace Hall, it would only be late in the night, and she would be sent back after.

The more favoured concubines were permitted to stay until daybreak, waiting on the emperor as he dressed for court, but would also be ceremoniously taken back to her chambers after.

Kiuda Palace Hall was the sleeping quarters for the son of heaven, the emperor living in seclusion—there was only ever one true occupant.

But from Jimin's manner, he actually seemed intent on making this his abode for the long term. Doubtlessly, this was by command of his Majesty.

In this dynasty, no empress nor concubine populated the harem system. 

There wasn't a single soul to contest with Jimin.

In the eyes of others, Jimin had lucked out big-time. With the Emperor's favour, wasn't glory, splendour, wealth, and rank all well within his reach?

Once a lowly hostage prince in the Kim Palace that despicable scum could step on, he had since soared to the summit in the span of a day. Some admired him, some envied him.

Regardless, many courtiers spitefully thought, Being close to the sovereign is as perilous as lying with a tiger

A subject might be regally welcomed on this day, but it was hard to say if his head would be rolling out by the next.

Jimin was oblivious to the thoughts of outsiders, but he couldn't care less even if made aware.

Kiuda Palace Hall was warm, the meals were hearty, and the beddings were thick. Jimin was satisfied.

As for the Kim Emperor? What was that? No more than a tool, a foothold for his swift exaltation, letting him pass his days in bliss.

Only fools would pursue a tyrant emperor's love. 

Jimin wasn't one. He was a pragmatic man who only aspired for riches and status, and had not the slightest smidge of interest in romantic entanglements.

This also held true for the Kim Emperor, thus the two of them shook on it for their personal interests, becoming satisfactory cooperative partners.

At the moment, Jimin was waiting on this cooperative partner during his meal.

The dishes for the evening were served to Kiuda Palace Hall. 

Soon, palace maids filed in, carrying plate after plate of fragrant delicacies, setting them on the wooden table.

Propitious pastries, agate sweet and sour fish, eight treasure bird's nest banquet, emerald mung bean roll...once brought into the palace, even these pedestrian dishes had to be gilded with names that befit the augustness of the royal family.

It was no more than an ordinary sight to SeokJin, but for Jimin—having eaten steamed buns and pickled vegetables for half a month straight, and even going without a bite to eat last night—he was tempted to usurp the Kim Emperor's seat at the dining table and make a clean sweep of it all.