Chapter 14

'The Seven Lands' Most Magnificent and Talented Man.'

As the Kim Emperor, SeokJin had heard countless praises, 'Long live the Emperor', or 'Forever be remembered throughout history'. He had never cared about the sincerity of the feeling or empty compliments.

But he had never imagined that one day, he would have his heartstrings toggled by such simple words.

Human hearts harbor evil, yours has none. What is there for me to be afraid of?

The Kim Emperor never wanted praise.

But he also did not want to be feared.

That was what he always wanted that was beyond his reach.

SeokJin gazed at Jimin with a hard-to-read expression. The youth was dressed in white and sat freely for him to study.

After a long time, SeokJin said in a slow tone, "We've slaughtered people and plucked their tongues, both acts of a black-hearted person. The Empress Dowager lifted us to the throne, and in return, we ungratefully annihilated her whole family. We had greed for territory and spared no effort to expand the region using corpses as the foundation. We don't hesitate to use any means to achieve our goal, continuing the vicious cycle."

He laughed softly, "We harbored all the evils in the world, as Jimin has listed. Everyone in the world fears us, how dare you say that we have none of them?"

Jimin replied immediately, "Palace workers overstepped their authority, the deaths were justified. The Empress Dowager controlled the court without regard to its laws, the punishment was justified. The six empires are wolves restlessly waiting for their chance, the war was justified. The Emperor always conducted to get results, the actions were justified."

"All your Majesty has done was in the name of the Kim Empire. The people hold the 'Emperor' title to the standard of a saint, but they don't know the peace they ask for is a presumptuous demand in this chaotic world. You would eventually be devoured and clawed into pieces by packs of wolves. The world would never understand that you have no other choice."

He answered the question with such fluency without the time to think. SeokJin was surprised for a moment and said softly, "But you understand."

There were suddenly bright lights in his eyes as he said with a faint smile, "Jimin, we regret not having met you earlier."

"Your Majesty has overpraised."

"It's time for these ministers to witness true beauty. We have to convince them how mediocre those rouge wearers are, compared to you. We will summon the court painter...No, how could an ordinary painter ever hope to capture your image?" SeokJin never hid his favor for the people who deserved it. He quickly walked to the bookcase and laid out paper and brush. "We will personally draw you."

"Your Majesty wants to paint a portrait of this subject?"

"Naturally."

"But this subject heard that your Majesty has never painted realistic people." The lights in Jimin's eyes flickered slightly.

Just because the Kim Emperor was known to be a tyrant, it didn't mean he had no knowledge of elegance. The four arts were lessons that every royalty's sons learned.

The Kim Emperor had been an outstanding artist since he was a child. His painting mastery was so profound that he became famous at the age of eight for his 'Birthday Painting' for the late Emperor. It was also because of this painting that the Emperor paid attention to the unknown child.