Chapter 11

"Emperor causes intimidation, Lord Husband does not."

After the meal, the palace maids removed the scraps and cold food off of the table. 

Jimin wiped his lips extremely gracefully with a white embroidered handkerchief.

In winter, the days were short and the nights were long. The sky outside was dark and the moon was hazy.

The chill struck people deep into the very flesh.

Jimin didn't want to walk out into the night's cold temperature and almost returned back into the Kiuda Palace Hall. SeokJin took his cold hand to pass the heat of his palm.

In front of the palace servants, the older man inquired solicitously on the younger man's well-being, "Hold our hand if you're cold."

Jimin showed a smile before lowering his head as if he was being shy.

The atmosphere between the two was harmonious.

After nightfall, SeokJin would retreat to his study to evaluate the memorials to the throne. 

If there was no important matter in the court, it would usually take an hour to finish. When there was, he often stayed up late and worked until dawn.

In the past, there would be a close attendant stationed in the study to grind ink, but now the task was delegated to Jimin, the new 'male pet'. 

Now, the Emperor was accompanied by a beauty during his time reading.

The imperial study was not far from the Kiuda Palace. 

It took several winding corridors and they were greeted by a warm breeze when pushing open the study's door.

SeokJin kept Jimin beside him, along with four other palace attendants.

The Kim Emperor strove to make his empire strong and prosperous during his early years. 

Now the other six empires all respected the Kim, the four seas were calm and peaceful, and there were no natural disasters, even the court councilors were very idle these days.

For example, at this moment, SeokJin's official records were piled up, they didn't contain the welfare of his people, nor military deployment, rather a stack of beauties' picture scrolls.

He didn't need to use his brain to figure they were from the pillar subjects who were crazy about pushing him in filling the harem.

He opened one and casually scanned it, then tossed the pile of scrolls to Jimin. "Pick out the ones that look better than you and present them to us."

Not everyone could be worthy of his eyes. Any mediocre person didn't deserve to be looked upon by SeokJin.

Jimin said, "Understood." Then he accepted the scrolls and looked carefully through them one by one.

After the time it took to burn one incense—or half an hour—Jimin put them all back into the stack, speaking in a humble and courteous tone, "This subject couldn't pick one out."

SeokJin teased, "Does that mean that you look the best?"

Jimin paused and said very modestly, "Yes."

The lights in SeokJin's eyes glittered slightly, giving an illusion of a smile.

How could this man speak so arrogantly in such a 'humble gentleman' manner?