Ending #2: Sad Ending

"I raped her!"

Gray's mind swirled. Flashes of memories randomly came back to him. He thought back to the ryokan trip the team had taken, just as he and Lucy were beginning to hook up. He had not thought much about it back then, but now Gray shivered to think that maybe Lucy knew something about Natsu's violent nature.

"I'm scared of Natsu sometimes. What if he gets jealous? If he tried anything, would you fight him for me?"

"If he dares to touch you, I'll kill that fucking flame-brain!"

Slowly, his cold eyes raised to meet Natsu's insane gaze. "You ... youuu..."

"You heard me," Natsu said slyly. "She didn't go down easily, either. It's a shame, but I had to get rough. I broke her wrist, probably her back ... I had planned to apologize to her later. It was her own fault, though. She fought hard, kept insisting she was in love with you. All lies, of course," he reasoned. "She's my mate for life, after all. I just had to remind her. I guess, in the end, you proved my point. I wasn't the worst thing to ever happen to Lucy. You were, Gray."

Gray covered his mouth as he felt ready to vomit. "Oh my God. What did I do?"

"Killed your girlfriend in a fit of rage," Natsu answered flatly. "It's a common story. How about I send you to the next life so you can be with her again?" A fiery magic circle formed around the Dragon Slayer's hands.

"Next life?" Gray mused, and a sardonic smile lifted his face as tears dripped down. "I don't deserve to be with Lucy in the next life. And neither do you."

The pose he took was familiar, legs spread, arms forward, stiff, and crossed in front in an 'X' sign, right arm above the left, right palm facing down; left palm facing up. A pale blue magic circle formed under him, so intense that it tinted the entire room. Natsu's eyes widened when he saw it. Powerful magic built up around Gray, and the whole room turned cold.

"Gray, no!" Natsu shouted.

"Neither of us should follow Lucy into the next life." Gray's face was surprisingly calm as he looked up at Natsu and saw the look of shock and silent protest on the young man's face. "This way, Lucy will be free from us. When she's reborn, she won't have two assholes like us who'd only hurt her."

The power built up. Magic circles formed around Natsu, four on each side and one above, boxing him in.

"Gray, stop!" Natsu screamed. "You'll die, too."

"Oh no, Natsu. See, I won't die. I'll become ice. I'll never move on from this existence, and I'll keep you frozen with me for eternity." Then he closed his eyes and whispered, "I'm sorry, Lucy."

"Like hell I'd let you!"

Natsu flung himself at the Ice-Make wizard in desperation. At the last second, Gray broke the stance and shot his hand out. There was a blue flash, and Natsu impaled himself on a spear of ice. Blood splattered out of his mouth as his remained good eye began to cloud over.

"Be happy I killed you the same way I killed her, you motherfucking sonuvabitch," Gray sneered, and he thrust the spear in even deeper.

Natsu coughed more blood, and it streaked down his chin and onto the white scarf. "Not ... quick ... enough."

Gray felt the burning. Natsu's flame-enshrouded hand had stabbed into his gut, burning a hole straight through his torso and out the back. Blood poured out, and Natsu chuckled at the final victory.

"Meet you in hell, bastard."

Gray yanked the spear out, and Natsu stumbled to the floor, falling flat on his back.