Chapter 2

My breath hitched, tears threatened to fall as the memories flooded in. The moment I crashed through the ground, lying helplessly as I anticipated my inevitable death, I could feel the sensation of the pain, like I was reliving that moment. My heart kept beating faster as every second went by. I placed my hand up to my chest in an attempt to calm it down. It kept replaying over and over again. It won't leave my mind.

I thought that was it. That was how my life would end. Even if I couldn't believe it right then, I eventually had to accept wherever death had to take me.

I had at least expected death to take me to an afterlife, but I somehow ended up here.

Where am I?

Why am I here?

I couldn't answer any questions, and that gave me the urge to rip my hair out.

I wanted answers. I needed answers.

I felt all sorts of emotions, lost, scared, and confused. Emotions I don't usually feel, at least I tried not to. I couldn't understand the emotions overwhelming me, it didn't make any sense. It felt more intense than it was in the past, making it even harder to control.

I needed a way to calm down, so I sat up straight, closed my eyes and meditated right then and there in the middle of a hospital hallway.

I knew how ridiculous I may look to passers-by, but that didn't matter. I needed to think of a way out of here.

A couple minutes passed, and my heart went back to beating regularly. Now I needed to think. There may have been crucial information I missed.

There were memories I was unfamiliar with, memories that seemed faint and didn't line up with my more vivid ones.

In one memory, I was a functioning member of society, but in another, I acted like a feral baboon with no direction in life.

I further investigated those memories, leaving me with more questions than answers. So I straightened my posture to organize and analyze my findings.

So to summarize, this body- no scratch that, this is still my body and I'm not giving that up.

Right now, my name is Christopher Adler. Everyone calls me Chris. I am 18 years old.
I go to school at Cypress High and get home at 2 am at the earliest. I am in a committed relationship but have frequent hookups here and there. My clothing style is of a pubescent teenager being allowed to dress on their own. I smoke a lot of weed and drink to the point I could be considered an alcoholic. I'm in bed at 5 am and don't care how much sleep I get. After making poor life decisions, I go straight to bed. Most of the time, I have trouble sleeping and wake up feeling pissy as ever.

So, in conclusion, the person whose life I'm living in is the fucked up villain of the book I so badly want to burn.

I rubbed my temples as my headache resurfaced once again.

Why me?! I'm not Chris!! Sure, we may have the same name and face but I'm not some psychopathic asshole who deserves this!! So why in god- or any other being's name does it have to be me!? I had my whole life ahead of me so why!?

I screamed out internally, causing veins to bulge out. I sat there confused out of my mind, restraining the urge to pull my hair out.

Just then, it dawned on me. I'm missing something... something important. Something so crucial that I've chased my whole life for.