Chapter 6

Archer

As I walked towards the familiar sight of Allan's house, my ears were immediately invaded by the booming pop music in the distance. My heart raced and blood pumped, the feeling was unusual, like I was in a completely new environment.

It has been a while after all.

As soon as my sisters found out Allan was planning a party, they vigorously "persuaded" me to go. After that confrontation with Marvin, they wanted me to loosen up and have fun.

As much as I appreciated my sisters' concerns, I can't afford to take a break.

This feels wrong, I should be working by now...

But for the sake of easing their worries, I planned on staying long enough to confirm my attendance, because Amelia has ways to find out whether I went or not.

The fact she has that ability to do that concerned me.

I glanced around the front yard, people's faces were plastered with the brightest smile, drinking with their friends like there were no troubles in the world.

I wonder if I could be like them, would there ever be a time I could be free from worries? It wasn't like I was envious of their lives, I couldn't be happier living with my sisters, everyday with them is nothing but bliss.

But I couldn't help but feel like something's missing, like a missing note to a beautiful symphony,

a note that unlocks to a perfect melody.

Among the hundred faces in the crowd, my eyes fixated on someone familiar. He had a troubled expression on, frantic as he searched around. He struggled to keep his eyes open, looking like he was about to faint at any given moment.

For some reason details of our encounter remained, refusing to leave.

His face flushed with tears, his hazel eyes begging to shut. Jet black hair was disheveled, like it was being constantly pulled. The sounds of his broken cries pleading the same words over and over again,

it all laid helplessly in my mind.

I stepped forward, unsure of what I was about to do but that didn't stop me from impulsively approaching the man.

I stopped right in front of him, expecting him to do the same. He instead continued mindlessly walking, causing him to bump into me. For some odd reason he started feeling my shoulders, his fingers glided through as far as it could go, as if to find something. I flinched, deeply contemplating whether to push him off or endure it until he stopped.

He thankfully did stop, but not not long after he buried his face on my chest, letting out an exhausted groan.

After staying silent for the most uncomfortable 10 seconds of my life, I finally spoke. "Ummm... Excuse me?" He said nothing but a quiet mumble in return. I sighed out, helplessly trying to communicate with a drunk person.

But before I could do anything else, he reached for his pocket and pulled out a key. Then like a punch, he harshly shoved it on to my chest. The impact caused me to take a step back, but the weight of his body leaning towards me finished the job, making us fall completely.

With a loud thud, my back came in contact with the solid ground. Aargh!" I let out a painful hiss from the stinging pain. I looked up to see the man settle himself on top of my stomach, then reached his hands down my face. Before I could say anything, he beat me to it.

"I'm sorry, you must've been tired... Right?" He cupped my cheeks, icy hands holding them in place, letting me get a better look of his features. His face shone in the moonlight, his jet black hair was tousled all over the place, but it somehow looked as if it was deliberately placed. His droopy hazel eyes managed to stay sharp, staring intently. His red plump lips moved in a careful motion as he spoke.