Chapter 10

"So starting today you're a permanent player in the team."

I stood in silence, blinking a thousand times as I tried processing her words. "Wha- What do you mean...? Why me? I'm sure someone else would be glad to-"

"If not you then you would just cause more trouble for the team."

The thought of his parents came to mind, causing a flood of emotions to overwhelm me. I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth, breathing deeply as I organized my thoughts.

Chris was never good at academics, his only hope in maintaining their perfect family image was sports, it was all he had to make them 'proud'.

But knowing how he tried to quit before, it seemed like Chris had already recognized it was hopeless trying to please them, hence his barbaric lifestyle.

But that didn't mean he was free, hope still lingered, the desire remained like an old stain that couldn't be washed away.

After all, he had been living that way for his entire life. One splash of water isn't enough to remove a stain that had been there for so long.

I suddenly felt heavy as if kilograms of weight were pulling me down. If I were to refuse I would continuously cause fear onto others as they wait on who'll be next to be replaced.

Like a game of russian roulette, dreading who'll be shot with the bullet next.

And I won't be excluded in that game, having one more in my dozens of problems to worry about with my murderer in close proximity. As much as I was guilty for the trouble I didn't even cause, the risk was too large for me to take.

It'll only be a matter of time before either bullet will shoot me first.

But there was something pulling me back, something clouding my thoughts. I knew the risk, I knew this would would kill me, but that condescending tone, and that disappointed face that I'll never get used to, the thought of it terrified me.

The female lead will soon be introduced, so I will have to stray away from the plot as much as possible to avoid hurting anyone.

If I were to really murder people then it would ruin me.

With a shaky breath, I raised my chin before responding, "Nnn...." The word no was at the tip of my tongue, but it wouldn't come through.

"Nnh...!"

Coach was still waiting, her face unmoving. The team all looked confused as they shifted their gazes, whispering amongst each other.

"What the hell's wrong with him?"

"Did he just moan?"

"Just fucking answer already...!"

I felt an urge I couldn't explain. Countless of thoughts flooded through, the dreadful headache coming back once again. My heart weighed heavily at the thought of my parents. Their words, their faces, I've experienced it far too many times. It was nauseating.

Mother will be angry.

Father will be disappointed.

I gripped my hair, puzzled at the strange thoughts. Those thoughts were most definitely not my own, I didn't know why I would be so affected by it.

But it somehow felt... right.

It made sense, it fitted right in like a puzzle piece.

I shook my head, gripping my hair tighter. My headache worsened as I tried shifting away as best as I could from the terrifying thoughts.