B2: First Quest

Nicky slumped in a pew in the back of the school chapel, her best friend Stella scrunched up beside her. They shared the row with all the other classmates who didn't want to be seen by the school principal. Some were slouched and whispering like Nicky and Stella, others were just asleep.

Sister Agnes was announcing this week's assembly speaker: some weird guy named Dr. Buford who wore a crumpled brown suit and was definitely too young to be rocking a bow tie. He was droning on about something or another. Nicky occasionally caught words like "Satan" and "salvation" and "rescue mission" but she wasn't really listening, she was too busy catching up with her friend.

"Chris has been acting all mopey again," Stella complained, for like the hundredth time in the past week.

"He still pissed you refused to fuck him after prom?"

"He says it's proof I don't love him."

"Here's better proof: dump his ass."

"I don't wanna do that," Stella pouted. She was tall and gangly with full lips and wide hips. "Summer's gonna suck if I don't have a boyfriend."

"Then just fuck him and get it over with."

"But he's so cute when he's sad."

Nicky rolled her eyes. "You're such a tease."

"So you really think I should fuck him?"

"No I think Chris is a loser."

"You're one to talk. You don't even have a boyfriend."

"Some women don't need a man to feel complete."

"Femi-nazi."

"Whore."

"Bitch."

"Psycho."

They paused in their conversation to watch , who was ranting about the evils of Heavy Metal music, how the bands were all occultists and the albums were vessels of corruption.

"So check it out, something really weird happened to me last night."

Stella sat up a little in her chair, suddenly attentive. "Do tell."

"This bizarre woman asked me to audition for a band."

"What kind of band?"

"I don't know."

"Like a high school band?"

"No I don't think so. I think it was like for a real band."

"What makes you think that?"

"She said she was a manager and she dressed weird,

"You think she's legit?"

"I dunno. I mean, yeah, I think so. I mean, who dresses like that?"

"Babe, I could dress like that tomorrow. It doesn't mean I'm a music mogul."

Nicky nodded, fully accepting her friend's reality check. "You're right."

The girls returned their attention to Dr. Buford, who had moved on to the evils of some weird game called "Dungeons & Dragons".

"You should do it though."

"Nicky looked over at her friend, surprised. "You think so?"

"Definitely." Stella nodded her head with authority. "I mean you're an awesome singer and it's probably all bullshit but what if it isn't? It's what you've always dreamed of."

"My parents will flip."

"Well what they don't know can't hurt them."

"Will you come with me?"

Stella smiled and grasped Nicky's hand. "Of course. And if turns out to be fake or some perv thing I'll get your ass out of there."