E1. Prison of Peril

Both of Derek's new cellmates looked extremely menacing. One was huge and gap-toothed and built like Mike Tyson. The other was tall and skinny with a gold front tooth and a white bandana wrapped around his injured right hand, turned almost completely red with blood.

"Damn," the gap-toothed prisoner remarked as the cops led Derek to the cell. "You look like shit."

"You should see the other guy," Derek replied, sitting down on a bench in the back of the cell.

Bloody-hand laughed. "Were you fighting over drugs or a girl?"

"Both," Derek explained. "The asshole was using drugs to try and rape a girl."

"Your girl?" asked gap-tooth.

"Hopefully someday," Derek nodded.

Bloody-hand echoed the nod. "Animals like that got to be put down, like rabid dogs." He pantomimed stabbing someone, using the same hand that was crusted with blood.

"True that," agreed gap-tooth.

"So what do you guys do in here, anyway?" Derek wondered. "You know, to pass the time?"

"Oh, hell, we don't do shit!" complained gap-tooth.

"Boring as hell," agreed bloody-hand. "Worse thing about the joint," he continued, pacing the cell, "is the boredom."

"Well, maybe I know a way to pass the time," suggested Derek.

"Awe damn," groaned gap-tooth. "You ain't one a' them Jehovah's witness or some shit are you?"

Derek laughed. "No, of course not, I'm talking about a game," he explained.

"Oh yeah? What game?" asked bloody-hand.

"You guys ever heard of Dungeons & Dragons?"