D1: Alliance

Mickey gave Tony a ride home in his Pontiac Fiero – a sports car with a wedged spaceship design that was so small it could be a go-cart. But it hugged the road and raced through the corners and Tony loved it. "I was just like you..." Mickey told him as they shared their souls during the car ride, "...confused, ostracized, no friends."

"I have friends," Tony assured him.

"Do they know?" Mickey probed.

"I dunno," Tony shrugged. Then he frowned and shook his head. "No," he admitted.

"Will they still be your friends if you tell them?"

Tony sighed. "I think so. I hope so."

"Then you're better off than me when I was your age." Mickey laughed at himself. "The little town I grew up in? Everyone thought people like us were evil, that God would turn us into a pillar of salt."

"That's fucked up," Tony agreed.

"It was brutal," Mickey told him. "But you don't have to go through it alone like I did."

"Thanks," Tony replied, and as he said it he felt a weight lifting off of him. "You'd better drop me off here, my Mom might be watching and she'll freak out of she sees someone she doesn't know drop me off."

"No problem." Mickey pulled up to a curb. "A group of us are going out next weekend if you wanna join."

Tony hesitated as he stepped out of the car. "Yeah that sounds awesome."

Mickey gave him a thumbs up. "Call me." Then he put the car in gear and drove away.

Tony turned toward his house, took a deep breath, and walked the last block and a half home.. When stepped through the door his mother gave him the silent treatment, turning her back on him as if she no longer cared about him. That satisfied Tony just fine. The last thing he wanted to do was deal with her shit. So he walked upstairs, closed his door to his room and concentrated on finishing his homework.