Found

It was all his fault. Everything was all his fault. He took one little nap and woke up to screams, and he knew in his heart that they belonged to Athena. He had pulled up his sleeve and ghosted his fingers over his watch, before his heart dropped into his stomach. 2:22 am.

Ripping his watch off his wrist, he threw it onto his bed before racing to his closet. Her screams tore through his heart as he raced to get his suit on, the clingy material doing its job and clinging to everything but what he wanted.

"Fucking HELL COME ON!" he yelled, frustrated as his pants were already button from the night before. Ripping them apart, he slid them on before sliding his mask on and racing for the fire escape.

He had to get to her before it was too late.

Racing across the rooftops, her screams stop and were now replaced by a man screaming, yelling as if he was getting his anger out over something...or someone.

Matt didn't stop running until he heard it all fall quiet, the man stopped yelling and any voices seemed muffled. He groaned as he stopped to listen, but he knew each second he stood listening, was a second wasted in getting to Athena.

A large van started up around the same area he had last heard Athena. Taking his chances, he raced after the cargo van, the sound of a faint heartbeat in the back was his only hope that she was still alive; but that heartbeat was slowly fading out, and it wasn't due to her getting further away from him.

"Hang on darling, I'm coming," he whispered to himself, pleading with her silently to just hang on a little while longer. He dropped down from the roof and waited in the shadows, listening as the men were quick in dumping her into a pile of trash.

His blood boiled as his knuckles cracked from under his gloves. "Hey!" he growled, stepping between the men and their van.

Matt wasn't going to waste another second with the men, driving his fist into the first one's face, he screamed as he fought with the henchmen. The second guy tried using his strength to hold Matt back back, pulling his arms behind his back in efforts of keeping him away from the first guy.

"YOU. COULD. HAVE. KILLED. HER!" he yelled, driving his fist into the first guy's face and stomach after kicking the second guy in the head, knocking him out cold. He had to stop himself from almost killing the first guy, his breathing now labored as he dropped his body towards the pavement.

Taking a few deep breaths, he could faintly hear Athena calling for her mother, his heart breaking even more as her heart rate began to slow even more.

She was dying.

"Goddess! Goddess  holy shit! Stay with me love, please," he begged, tears brimming in his eyes, wetting his mask as he picked up her body. He had failed her, in every aspect of the word.

"Don't worry Athena, I know someone who can help us. Just stay with me, please," he begged.

And now he's here, sitting on top of Claire's building as she attempted to stitch up the woman he loved. His legs dangled over the side of the roof as the wind pushed them back and forth, his pants legs whipping in the cool breeze.

He couldn't save her, he had gotten to her too late. Pulling his mask off, he let the flimsy material flap in the wind, nothing but his fingers holding it back from being lost in the wind. He felt as if one slip up, dropping his mask or...letting her go...would ruin his whole life.

~~~~

"I hope Sage and Matt are okay," Karen whispered, the air between her and Foggy was cold and easy as the two of them poured over papers for a case.  Humming, Foggy not once looked up from his papers, flipping them over and over as if he was looking for something crucial.