Comfort

"I'm the Goddess of Hell's Kitchen," Sage mumbled, watching carefully so as to gauge Sami's reaction. And it wasn't a good one as her jaw dropped open, her eyes glazing over with tears as hurt spread across her features.

"Why did you keep this from me? Who all knows?" she choked out, her hands wringing together in a way to comfort herself. Sage's heart broke at the sight of her best friend, her devastation heavy within her features.

"My sister, and now you."

"Not even Matt?" Sage shook her head as she reached down to take Sami's hand in hers. Pulling away from her friend, Sami shook her head, her shorter black hair moving side to side; there is no way in hell that her office job working best friend was one of the vigilantes wrecking havoc throughout their city.

Sage could see that her friend's mind was running a million miles a second, trying to process the six words that she had just told her, those six words like a bombshell on their lives and their friendship.

"Why did you...how have you been..." Her words fell from her painted lips in a jumbled mess, her mind running faster than her mouth. Covering her face with her hands, Sage watched as Sami began to bounce her leg up and down.

She broke her.

"I need air," she mumbled, pushing herself off the couch and quickly crossing the room. Sage stood in her living room, her chest feeling as if it was caving in. She not only broke her friend, but that was probably the last time she would ever see her.

"Flower?" She could hear Matt's concerned voice, but it was far away, almost as if they were in a tunnel and he was calling to her from the other end. "Flower, hey come back to me."

"Hello Matthew." She deadpanned, not looking towards him as her eyes fixated to the floor.

"Oh ouch. Matthew? Am I in trouble? What did I do now?" he joked, a low laugh rumbling through his chest. Sage smiled weakly as she leaned against him; all she needed was his arms around her.

Not saying another word, he understood what she wanted and pulled her close to his chest, hugged her tight. He slowly guided them to the floor as he felt her legs start to give up on her. Not once did he let go as her body shook with tears.

She cried for the possible lost friendship between her and Sami, and for her mother- a woman taken way too soon by these god damn gangs.

Her mind continued to replay that fateful night; how her and her mother had stumbled upon some sort of gang meeting or whatever. Her and Zaray were young, young enough to apparently be "spared".

But Sage had heard her mother be gunned down. In their own house nonetheless.

"It's okay Flower. I'm here for you. What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?" Matt asked softly. She hadn't realized until that moment, but he had been running his hand through the ends of her hair and up and down her back, careful of the cuts but never questioning them. He was trying to comfort her in ways he knew she loved most.

"I've failed Matty. I've failed my sister, my best friend, my mother, you. Everyone I've ever loved because I had to go out and play hero and then not only lie but-" she cut herself off, not wanting to lose another friend to her ramblings.

She cared for him more than she could ever say. And if he were to leave her too....

"I don't wanna push you away. If I ever lost you-" her words were cut off as tears choked her once more. Feeling a warm hand on her cheek, Matt pulled her face upwards. Gazing into his red tinted glasses, she reached up and slowly pulled them off, admiring his beautiful empty eyes.