Date Night

Sage had opted out of work for the next morning, begging for Matt to cover for her, suggesting that she had fallen down a flight of stairs after she tripped over her shoe laces. She smiled to herself as she remembered how he had laughed at her suggestion.

Her heart had fluttered within her chest as his smile made his eyes crinkle at the sides, his laugh was like a song to her ears, one that she could listen to for years to come.

"Flower, they aren't stupid. They'd believe me but not coming from you," he said through his bouts of laughter. Sage weighed her options, shrugging as a smile made its way back to her own lips. She couldn't help but let out a low laugh as she listened to Matt's laughter fill the apartment.

"Fine, tell them what you want, Matty." Leaning over, cupping her face in his hand, his thumb stroking her cheek, a mischievous smile spreading across his lips.

"I'll tell them that you fell down a manhole." he said lowly in a voice she had only heard him use in the bedroom. Sage threw her body against the back of his shitty couch, laughter bouncing off the empty walls as they both clutched their stomachs in pain.

"Matt, if you tell them that, I need to know their reactions," she paused before catching her breath and leaning in close to his ear. "There might be something coming for you if you do tell them that story though."

He cleared his throat at the thought of what she could possibly be implying. Opening his mouth, he quickly shut it, remembering back to the night they first had sex. He remembered her telling him that she loved him, and now part of him hoped that she really did.

Quickly kissing his cheek, Sage pushed herself off the couch and slowly made her way to his bathroom. "Better get going, Matty. They might start calling and wondering where you're at." Sighing, Matt walked towards her, wrapping his hand around her waist and pulled her close.

His cologne swirled around her, intoxicating her senses."I'll be back quickly to come pick you up, my Flower. Behave yourself." he whispered, his lips hovering over hers. He took pleasure in hearing her heart rate quickly pick up, her breathing picking up as she anticipated his kiss.

"Matthew, please just kiss me." she whined. In an instant, his lips gently touched hers, quickly becoming needy as her hands grasped at his suit jacket. She felt at home when he kissed her, nothing like anything her mother had ever told her about as a kid.

Breaking the kiss, Sage took in a shuddered breath, the air leaving her lungs as she opened her eyes again to see Matt smiling down at her. "Take today easy, my love. I'll leave by six and maybe we can head to the restaurant early."

"S-sounds like a plan Matty." Kissing her once more, Matt winked before grabbing his glasses and cane. Straightening his suit jacket, he slipped on the red tinted glasses and latched the apartment door behind him, the lock clicking into place.

Sage smiled softly to herself, before wincing in pain as the laughter from before finally caught up with her. Her side hurt more than she had thought it would. Making way to the bathroom, she allowed the scent of his body wash to engulf her, her mind swirling around her as she turned the shower on, the steam quickly filling up the small room.

Stepping into the warm water, she tried to take a deep breath, pain searing through her side. She felt it was good that she didn't go to work today; hopefully Matt could cover for her.

~~~~

"Where's Sage?" Foggy asked, the second the door closed behind Matt. He laughed as his head fell to his chest; of course his friend was only concerned for Sage.

"She wasn't feeling well this morning." he half lied. Foggy and Karen looked to him, skeptical at first. It was never like Sage to skip out on work, especially with the Cardenas Case.