Lists

When we reach the inside of the Undercroft we pile into the two sofas that I snuck in from a storage room somewhere in the castle late last year. I sit on one with Ominis and Sebastian sprawls on the one across from us.

"How long does our list have to be again?" I ask the boys after I have my parchment and self inking quill in hand, using my textbook as a table.

"Hecat didn't say." Sebastian responds while he scribbles on his parchment.

"Probably until you run out of possible memories." Ominis responds, he's using his dictation quill for his assignment. He mutters under his breath for the quill every so often.

I start writing down my list.

1. My last christmas with my parents (kind of sad)

2. The first time I was able to use magic successfully

3. When I saw the house Professor Fig left me and his letter to me (might be sad too)

4. When Highwing bowed to me too

5. Flying on a broom

6. The first time I went into Honeydukes

7. When Sebastian said he was happy to have met me

At that last one I look up at Sebastian. He's furiously writing on his paper quickly getting all the memories on paper. I don't doubt that many of them have Anne in them. Next to me Ominis has gone quiet.

"What is it, Ominis?" I whisper to him.

"How long is your list?" Ominis whispers back so low I almost don't hear him. I look to Sebastian but he is lost writing down his list; so he doesn't notice our whispering or me getting closer to be able to talk to and hear Ominis.

"I have 7, but some of them are a bit bittersweet. You?"

"I have 6, but I'm having the same problem. Is something truly happy if it makes you sad to remember it?"

"I don't know... But maybe that's kind of the point, no? You know it was happy at that time, so you have to focus on that feeling, not that you're sad it's over."

He smiles, "Always the insightful Ravenclaw."

I smile back at him

"What are you two whispering about?" Sebastian asks suddenly. He looks from me to Ominis to the small space left between us as I leaned in to talk to Ominis.

"Nothing! How's your list going?" I try to change the topic. I know if Ominis wants to talk about it with Sebastan he'll do it on his own time.

Sebastian narrows his eyes a bit, but doesn't ask more questions.

"I'm running out of space! How can I fit every single time I've been at my happiest?" He says as he returns to another page of parchment he's just brought out.

I look at Ominis and he whispers, "Think he can let us borrow some memories?"

I chuckle under my breath. I feel less alone that Ominis also is struggling to find memories. But also incredibly sad for both of us.

Ominis returns to his paper and whispers to his quill. I move to give him some space when I hear, "It's alright, I don't mind if you hear. It's comforting to know someone else is like me."

I don't say anything but settle back, making myself comfortable next to Ominis. I sense him also settling to sit more comfortably on the sofa, leaning a bit on me. I get back to my list and add

8. Being friends with Ominis and Sebastian

9. Finding and rescuing the Snidgets with Poppy

10. Playing chess with Natty