The Forest Part 2

We continue the path in the forest, the trees slowly enclosing the space, choking out the light. In response, I try to walk closer to Sebastian. It would be terrible if we got separated so deep in the forest. Since he didn't want his own broom, and doesn't have anywhere to place it. He'd have no way to get back to the castle.

"I didn't realize it would become so dark so quickly in the forest." He remarks.

"It surprised me the first time I came here too." I add.

"When did you first come here? I don't think you ever told me." He whispers, also trying to follow as close as he can.

"It was last year,I think around Halloween time."

"That early? Wait, we had already met." The tone in his voice was accusing.

"We had, but I don't think we were quite as close as we became." For emphasis I squeeze his hand once. His face remains slightly serious. I continue, "I wasn't very trusting, at first. I didn't know anyone here, my abilities needed to stay hidden, and then everything with the dragon and Gringotts happened. I was just scared, but I'm glad you trusted me, and I got to trust you." I really am glad. I wouldn't change meeting my friends for anything. He squeezes my hand back. And smiles at me.

We reach a point where I know acromantulas and other spiders begin to appear.

"Be ready." I say firmly.

"I can take the lead if you want. So you don't have to get all the spiders." He replies. He probably remembers how much I don't like spiders. Which is funny because over the last year I had to fight so many acromantulas and other spider creatures.

I let him take the lead as we continue our trek. I mentally mark the path we're taking in case we don't find them tonight. I'll have to mark the path in my new book. As a place we've already searched.

After a few minutes of searching, we hear some twigs crunching ahead of us. Sebastian immediately points his wand in that direction, one arm over my chest.

Thankfully, it is only one of the smaller spiders. Sebastian takes care of it quickly. I thank him as we continue forward.

"When do you think we should head back to the castle?" He asks after some time. The trees are now almost completely covering the light from the moon and stars. What little light slips through is what is guiding us. We know that lumos isn't an option if we want to be unseen by any poachers or creatures that might be in the area.

"We can probably head back soon. If we don't see anything we'll just have to come back. They're probably deep in the forest, since their other camp was found."

"When would you want to come back?" He asks, eyes still ahead, searching for anything that might be dangerous.

"Soon, but maybe by then I will have some sort of lead." I say, sighing. "We can't keep sneaking out just hoping we'll find them."

"I don't know, the sneaking out has been fun, just us two." The last part of the sentence comes out softer than the rest, almost like he wasn't sure if he wanted me to hear it or not.

I smile despite the circumstances because it has been fun, other than the fighting dark wizards. I had fun flying with him, and just spending time with him.

Probably after too long, I whisper, "I'm having fun too, with you."

He doesn't reply, but he sticks closer to my side as we continue walking in the forest. After some time of not seeing anything, we both decide to turn back, but take a different route. It'll help us cover more ground in one night. We take a shortcut through the trees, this time I'm leading. All of my excursions into the forest have made me an expert in the ways to take through the forest.

"How many times exactly did you come into the forest last year?" He asks close to my ear. Now that we're off the path, we need to be quiet and stick together.

I shrug, "Honestly I lost count." I then add, "I mean I had a few um favors that brought me into the forest, not to mention the times I came to explore."

"How were you not put in Gryffindor? That's the bravest thing I've ever heard, if not the dumbest." He says, and I turn to look at him, fighting the urge to nudge him with my shoulder. "Don't look at me like that, Navarro, I'm just saying, you were new to magic, and a fifth year. Most seventh years won't even step foot in there." In his explanation I could hear he was actually impressed. "And you came here all alone and no one knew..." That's why he thought it was dumb. It's the same reason he had been angry at me that first night. He didn't want me to put myself in danger alone. I understood, we had gone through most of our dangerous quests for the relic last year together. He had always asked for me to come along, and trusted me. I hadn't really returned the sentiment last year.

I say the only thing I could think of, "At least until you tagged along Sallow. " I nudge his shoulder, teasing him, hoping he knows that now that I'm glad he's been keeping me company.

Soon after that, we decided to head back to the castle by broom, seeing as we didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. We are in the secret passageway in no time.

"At least we don't have classes tomorrow." He said yawning.

"Your common room might even still be having their gathering."I add with a snort.

"I hope not." He shakes his head in a way that looks like he's realizing they just might be.

At the entrance we say our goodnights, and disillusion ourselves for the journey to our respective common rooms. My journey is uneventful, the Ravenclaw common room is deserted and I can quickly make my way into bed. I tried not to show it before but I am exhausted. My head has barely laid on the pillow before everything fades to black.