Chapter 5

It's Easter! Bunny's feeling mischievous, Jack's getting the brunt of it, and North misunderstands everything he is seeing...

Bunny crept forward, quietly studying the sight in front of him.

Snowy hair falling over his pale forehead, one arm shoved through his hoodie pocket, fingertips poking out the other side, his other arm behind his head, sleeping soundly on the bough of a tree.

His breathing was soft, barely audible, and his face was tilted back so his slender neck was on display, the sunlight bringing out each tiny freckle on his cheeks.

Bunny smiled, shaking his head.

The sprite really was a fair beaut, when he wasn't awake and giving him cheek, all animated arms, air acrobatics, wide grins and mischievous glances...

It had taken Bunny two seconds to find him at the lake in Burgess, following his frosty sweet scent through the trees covered in their shiny new leaves, the flowering buds just starting to show.

But he wasn't here to admire the pretty trees or the quiet winter spirit.

First things first.

Bunny pulled the small paper bag from his bandolier and carefully slipped it into Jack's pocket, under his cool palm.

And now...

Hm.

He really should have thought this through.

Inching a little closer, with the slightest hesitation, he hovered over him and gently ruffled his hair.

Jack blinked tiredly, his sapphire eyes pale and speckled in the dawn sun, looking around in confusion. "Bunny? What are you..."

Much better.

"Morning, sleepyhead," he smirked, and swiftly shoved him off the branch.

Jack yelped, not awake enough to stop himself from falling.

Which was what Bunny was counting on.

Phil grabbed the sprite out of the air and threw him into the large sack in one smooth motion, giving Bunny a small salute.

"I owe ya, mate," he laughed, hopping down from the tree. "Keep a close one on him, yeah?"

The yeti grumbled something positive, and tossed a snow globe out in front of him, disappearing back to the Pole, sack and all.

Perfect.

Pranking a prankster might not have been his smartest move, but he hadn't seen Jack all month and the look of surprise on his face was exactly the break Bunny needed.

He'd been dashing about for over twelve hours and had already hidden millions of eggs, every single one with his best colours and patterns.

He'd worked hard. He deserved to create some mischief of his own.

Nobody could say the sprite hadn't earned it.

Right! Now that he was dealt with, time to get mov-

A scent suddenly caught his nose, different from Jack's but still familiar...

He sniffed the air, hopping closer to the lake, following its trail.

The water rippled in the breeze, no ice covering the top this time. It was a nice sight. Calming. He could see why Jack liked this place so much.

Then he spotted it.

A small patch of upturned soil nearby. A few stems poked out, soaking up the Spring sun.