Chapter 24

Day Six - Part One

Jack and Bunny ease into their morning!

Bunny groaned, peeling his eyes open, all manner of sore and so hot. He felt like he'd been kicked off a cliff and dumped on the surface of the sun.

No, not the sun.

He was swaddled in a blanket thick enough to suffocate him!

Caringly  swaddled, but swaddled nonetheless...

He clawed his way to freedom, tripped over something round, and almost landed in the brightly burning flames of the fireplace. He straightened unsteadily, and kicked the loose snow globe across the fort.

Only for it to hit the blanketed wall and bounce right back to his feet.

Hmph.

"Bloody humans," he grumbled, shaking the dreamsand from his whiskers and rolling his shoulders, his bones and muscles stiff as stone. "Trying to cook the rabbit."

With tired, bleary vision, he searched for another place to settle.

Something familiar caught his nose.

Sweet like... like sugared strawberries...

He can keep you safe.

He yawned, clambering over the pillows and blankets towards it, and the incredible coolness that came with it.

He can protect you.

Falling into his side, he tucked himself under his t-shirt, wriggling up his wonderfully cold chest until he popped his head out of the soft collar, resting his ears on top of it, snuggling into the sweet, pale skin.

Safe...

Protected...

Mate...

He drifted back to sleep.

*

Jack woke to a strange snuffling under his chin, and something sharp digging into his side.

His first thought was elf.

He had no idea why.

Maybe Sandy had knocked him out again and he'd been left on the floor at the Pole and Dingle had decided to use him as a trampoline? It wouldn't be the weirdest thing that had happened. He'd woken up like that twice after arguing with Bunny.

But that didn't explain the warm fur...

Nope.

This was weirder.

Sandy had knocked him out, and he had been abandoned on the floor at the Pole, but there were no elves in sight. Instead, it was Bunny, still in his smaller form, sprawled under his t-shirt like a round, furry starfish, purring away without a care in the world. His head was poking out the top, lying on his throat, his long, silver ears flat against the white material and the claws of his foot trying to scratch a hole in his waist.

"Hey Bun," he said huskily, rubbing just under his ears, gently massaging his toasty fur. His foot kicked a little faster and he purred louder, then amazingly, he began to settle. "Huh. Works on little you too. Did you get too warm in your blanket?"

He snuffled some more, pressing his muzzle into his collarbone.

"I'll take that as a yes," Jack chuckled quietly. It was no wonder. The fire was still going strong, and that blanket had been really thick. "It's okay. You can cool off on me any time."

He patted the bundle hidden under his t-shirt.

He was going to miss this.

It wasn't every day Bunny would curl up on him. He was kind of helpless and vulnerable this small, and he'd been glued to Jack's side ever since he'd changed.