Chapter 14

Day Three - Part Two

Jack and Bunny 'subtly' eye each other up.

"No."

"Jack."

"Oh, come on!" Jack whined, wiping his face on his dusty t-shirt. "Why?"

Bunny folded his arms, blowing a pile of that same bloody dust from his shoulder. "Because we've just spent four hours trying out your awful ideas for escape."

"Technically you never said no to any of them and testing the snow globe was a good idea," he argued, tipping his head over and rubbing his fingers vigorously through his hair, a cloud of white flowing to the floor. "To begin with. Geez, we're gross!"

"Of course we are! We just got blown across the room! Again! All we've found out is the roof isn't as solid as we thought it was, and now we both need a scrub!"

Jack was going to be the end of them before the week was out, or at the very least their eardrums! One more explosion and they were going to burst!

The little terror pressed his lips together, glancing up at the cracks in the roof. "It was pretty funny. Think North'll notice?"

Bunny narrowed his eyes, standing as tall as he could. "That's it. No arguments. You're doing it, mate. You owe me."

"Wha-! But-!" Jack gaped, turning his head back and forth, like he was looking for some form of support, until his eyes focused somewhere behind Bunny, his face curiously dropping. He absently reached out and patted Bunny's shoulder, wandering past him. "Yup. Fine. I'll do it. But I need you to do me a favour in return."

"What kind of favour?" Bunny asked suspiciously, watching Jack crouch in front of the window and pick something up.

The sprite turned back and, without looking at him, he took Bunny's paw and dragged him over to the dresser, placing their joined hands firmly on the snow globe. "A small pot and soil."

"A what?" frowned Bunny in confusion.

The globe glowed bright, and a small purple pot and a mound of soil appeared.

"What's all this?"

Jack thrust out his other hand in front of his nose, revealing a tiny snowdrop looking right worse for wear in the centre of his palm. It must have been the one from the tunnel Bunny had tried to create when they'd first arrived. He'd forgotten all about it.

"Do what you do best and make sure it lives?" he asked, gently tipping it into his paw. "I... have a place it can go when we're out."

Bunny stared at the flower, then back at him in disbelief. "Y-Yeah. I can do that. Course I can."

"Okay. Good. Thanks." Jack stepped backwards, clearing his throat as he collected his things from the bed. "This is your worst idea ever, by the way. I want you to know that."

And with that, he strode grudgingly into the bathroom, kicking the door closed behind him.

Bunny clasped the small flower to his chest, over his racing heart. "A mild attraction," he muttered to it. "Mild. That's all."

*

"You can't stay in there forever, mate."

"Wanna bet?" he heard a mumbled response. "Idiot kangaroo."

Bunny grinned as he patted some more soil into the pot around the tiny snowdrop.

Since Jack was dragging his heels in the bathroom, Bunny had used the time to sweep the floor of the plaster dust (thankfully the rug had been spared), wipe the floorboards down, wash the wine jars and dishes from the night before, and fold up Jack's dry hoodie and trousers, placing them on the couch.