chapter 22

Day Five - Part Four

The Guardians battle it out!

Jack wanted to be brave, he really did, but he'd forgotten just how terrifying they were.

Massive and skeletal, their leathery skin was stretched tight over way too much bone and muscle, their thick, dangerous claws attached to long, spindly fingers. Jagged antlers jutted out of their narrow, deer-like skulls, and their numerous, sharp teeth were already soaked red inside their misshapen jaws, the blood glistening in the moonlight.

There must have been at least three packs, with more appearing from the shadows of the trees.

And all their sunken black eyes were trained on him.

"Don't let this go to your head, mate," said Bunny quietly, "but I don't like the way they're eyeing you up."

"Really? Because I'm loving this," he muttered back.

This was the worst day ever.

"Be ready!" announced North ahead of them, exchanging a glance with Sandy up in the sky.

"They're getting a touch close, North," warned Bunny, as a skinny Wendigo snapped its jaw in Jack's direction. The rabbit immediately returned the oddest, deepest growl Jack had ever heard him make.

The Wendigo's attention shot away from him, regarding Bunny strangely. It dropped its nose to the snow and snarled.

Jack elbowed the kangaroo. "Are you trying to make them mad?!"

"Yes," Bunny's voice rumbled through the growl, his fists tense on his boomerangs.

Whoa. Something about that voice had the hair on the back of his neck standing on end. "Bun Bun?"

Bunny blinked, and his growling subsided. He awkwardly cleared his throat. "S-Sorry. Daft instincts have a mind of their own. Seems they don't like the thought of... sharing."

If there weren't Wendigo fully salivating at the sight of him, Jack would have been smiling like an idiot at that.

Ugh, he hated this.

This was important, he knew that, and he wouldn't be anywhere else, but a selfish part of him wished they'd never left the blanket fort.

Bunny's paws might have been exploring his skin by now, his warm mouth mapping out his neck, and maybe Jack would have tried massaging his way down Bunny's body, finding spots that made him squirm and gasp and purr. Or maybe they could have simply kissed for hours and hours without coming up for air.

Jack bit his lip. That would have been nice.

Really, really nice.

Bunny sniffed, scowling. "Oi, are you daydreaming?"

"Huh? What? No."

"Try telling that to your scent-"

"Um, Bunny?" interrupted Tooth. "We might have a problem!"

A loud snarl tore their attention from each other.

The skinny Wendigo still hadn't taken its eyes from Bunny.

"What the..." the rabbit started.

Jack frowned, looking all around.

A lot of them had taken a sudden interest in Bunny.

In fact, every single one of the Wendigo were staring at both of them like they were the best thing on the menu. It was as if Tooth and North weren't even there.