chapter 20

Day Five - Part Two

Who's that knocking on the door?

Jack held his breath, waiting for the door to burst open and for whoever was behind it to discover them revealingly tangled in each other.

He was pretty sure the 'we tripped and fell' excuse wouldn't fool anyone.

But nobody opened the door.

Huh. "Who do you think-"

Bunny silenced him with a soft kiss and leaned up, his ears twisting wildly, sniffing the air. "It's Sandy," he said, relaxing a little.

By some kind of miracle, Jack managed not to blush at Bunny's amazing new method of shutting him up.

"Is it just Sandy?" he asked, keeping his voice low and somehow steady. "On his own? Wait, can you smell him? Really?"

Bunny shook his head, whispering, "As handy as that would be, all my nose wants to pay attention to is you. Though I can't say I blame it." He winked at him.

And now Jack was blushing.

Evil rabbit.

"Will you pay attention to me a little less right now please?" chided Jack lightly, leaning on his elbows, stretching his neck to get a glimpse of the door. "How do you know it's him?"

"I can just about hear him, over the heartbeat I'm not paying attention to," he answered, and he began rubbing a paw back and forth over Jack's chest, following his gaze beyond the fort entrance. "He sounds like tiny bells if you listen close enough, or if you have top-notch hearing like I do."

Jack rolled his eyes with an involuntary smile, whacking his paw away. "Can those impressive ears tell us why he isn't coming in?"

Bunny thought for a moment, then his eyebrows almost flew off his forehead, and his eyes shot back to him. "He's not coming in because he doesn't have a damn key."

A key?

"Like, a key key?" he frowned. "But we're magically sealed in, right?"

"Not for long, Frostbite," said Bunny, snatching the front of his hoodie in a tight fist. "Let's move."

Suddenly, Jack was hauled to his feet.

*

Even with his face pressed up against it, the keyhole was giving nothing away. He couldn't see anything but a pinprick of light on the other side. No red shimmer, no silvery sparkles, no obvious, tell-tale magic of any kind...

"Could it really be that simple?" he muttered, tracing the lock with his fingertip.

"Only if you want to lose an arm, Snowdrop, so get that terrible idea straight out of your head."

Hm. Considering the door's reaction when they'd tried to set fire to it, Bunny was probably right.

And his own way of escaping would have been much cooler, not that he had time to impress anyone either way now.

Jack huffed, quickly jumping onto the bed as the rabbit raced by. "What are you doing, Cottontail? I've never seen you move this fast."

Bunny was anxiously searching the room for who knew what, his arms stuffed full of clothes and blankets. "I'm moving fast because half of this is fancy clothes we danced and kissed in, and the rest of it is covered in our... our bodily fluids!" he stressed. "We need to get these away before the rest of the cavalry show up."

He glanced at the door, his ears twitching again.

Jack had no idea if Sandy could hear them from the other side but if he could, at least he was getting some entertainment listening to Bunny in a state of pure panic.