Chapter 21

Day Five - Part Three

The crew head out!

Jack flew towards the night sky and stretched his arms out wide, thick snowflakes hitting his face, fresh air filling his lungs, icy cold and perfect.

It felt like he'd been stuck inside for weeks, not days. The wind surrounded him, energetic and loud, pushing him up and up and up.

He whooped with pure, childish glee, going limp and falling back through the clouds, pulling up just in time to narrowly avoid the sleigh speeding by.

"North! Can't you keep this rickety hunk of driftwood level?!" Bunny's voice carried over the noise of the racing reindeer, roaring wind and North's riotous laughter.

Jack chuckled, flying above the stressed-out kangaroo.

His poor claws were embedded in the edge of the sleigh and in the wooden seat, his puffy shoulders set like stone.

"I am always level!" said North, the sleigh jutting harshly as he glanced over his shoulder. "Mostly."

The wood began to split under his hold. "J-J-Just drive, you damn menace! Eyes to the front! How many birds have you hit with this thing already?!"

"I do not hit the birds!"

"Oh, I suppose the birds just make sacrifices of themselves?!"

Jack landed on the edge with a light thud, one foot in front of the other, just behind Bunny's clenched paw. His pink nose twitched, but he continued to rant as North bantered back jovially, obviously used to Bunny's sleigh anxiety.

Jack eyed everybody warily.

Tooth was watching the horizon intently as they neared their destination, thin swords jangling at her sides. North had started shouting some questionable 'safety statistics' to Bunny, which wasn't helping the rabbit's stress in the slightest. Sandy was taking a nap, bouncing every time the sleigh hit turbulence.

Nobody was paying attention to him, so...

Here goes nothing.

Please be allowed, please be allowed, please be allowed...

With a deep breath, he rested his hand under Bunny's ear, experimentally massaging where it met his head.

Please, please, please, please...

"And if y-you... you do..." Bunny stumbled over his words, his ear shifting.

So far so good. He hadn't been immediately swatted from the sleigh...

He kept waiting, for Bunny to shove him off, or growl something at him and continue his tirade but instead, he... he seemed to lean into it.

A rush of excitement swirled inside him that he only just managed to contain. He carefully spread his fingers further around his long ear, gently scratching the warm, soft fur behind it.

"If you do another loop, you'll..." Bunny tried his best to threaten, "...you'll see what happens..."

His voice drifted away, along with the rest of his rant.

"It's okay," said Jack, quiet enough so only Bunny could hear. "There's nothing to worry about, I promise. The sky is my playground. I wouldn't let anything happen to you here. You're safe with me."

"Safe, yeah? That's good..." Bunny sighed shakily, his claws loosening in the splintered wood and his eyelids drooping shut. "That's good..."

He slowly dropped his muzzle to Jack's leg.