~~Chapter 1: Arrival~~

Thunder rumbles overhead. Two boys, injured and dying, crawl toward one another. The fight in the background almost mute to their enhanced hearing. It almost seems like they can't hear anything except for their frantic heartbeats. Seconds feel like hours as they drag themselves across the ground. Finally reaching one another, they prop themselves up against a collapsed wall and grasp the other's hand, intertwining the appendages lazily dragging against the ground behind them. They're both growing numb, and they knew the end was near. As the two feel their consciousnesses fade, they use the last of their energy to turn their heads toward another. They don't notice the camera trained on them, nor do they hear the anguished screams of their classmates... No, their friends. All they see, and all they hear, is one another. And so, with people—be they family, guardians or friends—fighting all around them, two boys close their eyes with lazy smiles on their faces, and take their last breath. The entire world watches, be it through the television or in person, as their lives fade away. The entire world watches as their hearts stop beating. The entire world watches as their chests stop rising. The entire world is gripped with emotions as the boys perish on the cold ground, accompanied only by each other.

But the fighting goes on.

A brother only in blood to one fights against the killer of the family's heir. He had attacked the other boy—his brother's friend and his opponent's treasured 'fruit'—as soon as his own was struck down. An eye for an eye, in a sense. Now both are dead, and the fight goes on.

A hero fights against his arch nemesis, ferocity and anger in his every blow. Anger at himself, as well as his enemy, for allowing two boys to die. The anger fuels his strength. But it also makes him sloppy. His enemy gets past his guard and lands a blow to a wound never healed. The cameras are trained on him as he falters. He is forced back. He can't get his guard back up as he is hammered with punch after slash after kick. He stumbles.

His opponent goes in for the final blow.

Thunder rumbles overhead.

And the world explodes in a flash of light.

~~~~Flashback~~~~

Darkness.

A black void was all that Killua could see around him, only one sensation to be felt. He was falling, he realized that quickly as the feeling grew and grew, as though he were getting faster by the second. Though there was no light whatsoever coming from anywhere around him, he could clearly see himself. His memories were hazy, and his head was hurting far too much.

He was still looking at the darkness around him when he heard a loud *crack* beneath him. Looking down, a shiver went up his spine. Beneath him was a large crack in the void around him, and he was falling right toward it. The scariest part, however, was how high up the crack seemed to be.

As soon as he fell through the crack, he wanted to throw up. Everything hit him at once, the noise, the light, even the smell was far too much for him to manage all at once. His vision grew black as blood rushed to his head before going back to normal. The ringing in his ears finally went away as he neared the ground at hazardous speeds. As his body was turned onto its back by the wind, he saw a small crack in the sky slowly fading, before entirely disappearing from view.