~~Chapter 14: The Cavalry Battle~~

"And with that, the first game of the first year stage is over! Take a look at the results!" A hologram appeared behind Midnight, showing the results of the obstacle race. The large monitors around the field for the audience to better see what was happening also displayed the results, bright colors flashing across the screens.

"The top 42 make it to the next round! Better luck next time to all those that didn't make it, but we've still prepared other chances for you to shine! The real competition begins now. The press will be all over it! Give it your absolute best! Now, here's the next event! I, of course, already know what it is!" A large hologram appeared behind Midnight once more as she raised her whip, displaying a spinning slot machine thingy. The slot machine came to a sudden stop, displaying the game that would be played next.

"Here we have it! Your next game will be a cavalry battle!" Midnight's voice rang throughout the arena, alerting the chatting crowd to tune back into the games being displayed.

"A cavalry battle? I'm bad at those..." Funky electricity dude—I don't know his name yet—stated a bit to the right of me.

"It's not an individual event, so I wonder how it'll work..." The frog girl—I think her name was Asoi or something like that?—murmured to herself.

The grapist said something too, but I don't give a shit about him.

"Let me explain. Participants can form teams of two to four people as they wish. It's basically the same as a normal cavalry battle,-" 'What the fuck is that' "-but the one thing that's different is... based off of the placement you gained in the last game, your point value changes!"

"In other words, each team is worth more or less points than the other!" The gravity girl—wasn't her name Urarararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararaka or something like that?—explained without being asked to and despite Midnight—Why is it that I remember my teacher's names/pseudonyms but not the names of my own classmates?—trying to explain it herself.

"I see!" Acid person spoke from next to her, an understanding look crossing her face.

They were interrupted by the crack of Midnight's whip. "I'm trying to talk here! Anyways, she's right! And the points assigned to each person go up by five starting from the very bottom. So 42nd place gets five points and 41st place gets ten points and so on and on. The only exception from this are our two first placers! They both get assigned a value of ten million points each!"

One of the advantages of being an experienced hunter and ex-assassin or living most of your life on an island filled with flora and fauna, as well as being partially a cat, is that you can easily tell when eyes are laid on you, and often even where the gaze is originating from. Therefore, it was quite easy to tell that everyone, and I mean everyone, had their eyes on us. Be it someone in the audience, the teachers or the students, they all had their eyes on us. Except for that one guy walking around selling Hot-dogs, he was trying to protect his sausages from a dog.

"That's right. It's survival of the fittest, with a chance for those at the very bottom to overthrow the ones at the top with just one wrong move! Now then, I shall explain the rules of the cavalry battle! The time limit for this game is fifteen minutes. Each and every single team is worth the amount of points all their team members have combined and the riders will wear a headband with that number. Other teams will try to steal these headbands and keep as many points as possible for themselves." The hologram behind her displayed a small graphic of a headband and how it'll be easy to pull off with just a little tug, also sneaking in an advertisement for 'Velcro'. "Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up. The more you steal, the harder it'll be to manage them all! And most importantly, even if your headband is stolen or if your team falls, you're not out!"