Chapter 21

I sat cross-legged on the bed as Stiles paced his room. "Stiles. I'm sure your father will get his job back."

"Yeah, but what if he doesn't? It'll be because of me. I can't have him lose his job because of me." he replied worriedly.

"He won't, Stiles."

    "But what if he does? I can't—"

    "Hey, hey!" I got off the bed and put my hand on his shoulder, having him focus on me. "Your father will get his job back, okay? You really think the Beacon Hills Sheriff Department can function without him?"

    "I mean....it's a police station."

    "Just get what I'm trying to put down, Stiles. Give it a day or two, then he'll be back in as sheriff." I told him.

    He took a calming breath and nodded. "Yeah. He'll be alright. We'll be fine."

    I smiled and gently patted his neck. "That's it. Just think happy thoughts, and you'll get through this."

    "Thanks, Parker." he said with a smile at me. "I honestly don't know where I'd be without you."

    "You'd be dead." I answered, making him laugh.

"That's debatable." he answered. "Are you doing anything later? We could hang out."

"I'm actually headed to Allison's. Lydia texted an SOS: Fashion Emergency, so I have to go."

"Ah. Okay then. Have fun."

========

"Clear your schedules—this could take a while." Lydia said as she came into Allison's bedroom with bags of clothes from Macy's.

Allison looked at the bags. "..how many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?"

Lydia looked offended. "It's my birthday! I'm thinking host dress, evening dress, then, mmm...after-hours casual?"

Allison looked at me, then Lydia. "I noticed that you didn't send out any invites..."

"It's the biggest party of the year, Allison—everyone knows." Lydia answered tensely.

Allison tried again. LI was wondering if maybe this year, things, you know...might be different...?"

Lydia looked at me, then her. "Why would anything be different?"

Allison shrugged awkwardly. "Just 'cause things have been off lately...things, and people...like Jackson."

"What do you care about Jackson?" Lydia asked.

"Do you know if he's coming tonight?"

Lydia nodded. "Everyone's coming." she picked up a dress with a smile, holding it up to her body. "This one's American Rag. Mmm, I love it—for me, not you." she picked up another dress, handing it to Allison. "This one's Material Girl. It's for you." she picked out another dress—a dark green one, handing it to me. "and this is for you."

"Aw, thanks, Lydia." I smiled, going still when someone cleared their throat.

"Mrs. Argent, what do you think of this one?" Lydia looked at Allison's mother, holding up the white-and-black dress.

Mrs. Argent smiled distractedly. "Oh, it's lovely...Allison, uh, can I grab you for a moment to talk? Just the two of us?"

"Um, can we do it later?" Allison asked, preoccupied.

"Actually, uh, to be honest, sooner would be-would be better..."

Lydia packed away her bags and picked them up. "Party's at ten, girls."